General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

92 Buick Century Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 01:31 PM

Hello all! This is my first post so bare with me :P I checked out a few posts but couldnt hunt down my particular problem. I bought a 92 Buick Century Friday. The woman said the problem was that the car "runs rough." I took it fior a test drive. At first it wanted to keep stalling, but once on the road I realized that the fuel pump was whinning.I take it and put some gas in it and it seemed to run abit smoother the rest of the way home. Another clear sign the fuel pump is most likely the problem. I change the pump and the filter. Before I changed it I ran the battery dead trying to start it again to get it on the ramps. I thought maybe the fuel pump went completely or its a weak battery. But after installing the new parts....it still will not start. I have a spark, yes, I primed the pump....no, there is no air in the fuel line....and the pump works great btw The woman said they just replaced the starter. I charged the battery overnight and this morning when I went to start it, it sounded like it wanted to start but didnt. Before I get too involved in complex details, is there anything I am missing? Thanks all!

Old 03-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Administrator

so you have fuel, and you have spark...have you tried some starting fluid?

Old 03-28-2006, 06:15 PM

Well since my post we have discovered that we are not getting spark from the plugs. The spark plugs and wires are new, the starter is new, the ignition coils and ignition plate are also new, the fuel pump and filter are new. The car at this point won't turn over at all. When we checked the plugs they were fouled out but after a good cleaning the car would run, but not more than a day. Now we are abt to replace the fuel pressure regulator and hope that its the problem. My hubby says it looks like someone tried to take it off b4 but in the process stripped the bolt, so i sure do hope this is the problem bcus he is gonna have a hellova time getting the part off. If this doesn't work, I have no idea what to try next. My brother said sounds like a carbon problem, sure hope not I hear mechanics charge an arm and a leg to fix that and you can only get the parts at a junk yard!!!! ANy new ideas are greatly appreciated!!!!!

Old 04-14-2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick
so you have fuel, and you have spark...have you tried some starting fluid?
Dose your car key have a chip in it ?