General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Hard Starts, Spark Plug Coil

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:53 AM

I own a 01 Regal with 180,000 miles on it. It's in for service right now. They have found a few things wrong with it. I'm looking for a little more info to see if I can do some it myself. The car is close to it's second 100,000 mile service. Below is what the mechanic has told me so far.

Crank Shaft Position sensor. They can fix it. Although they said there was tech note on re-routing it. Either way they can fix it.

#1 and #3 Coils have hairline cracks in them. I would like any information on how hard it is to replace these oy my own. I don't have the car right now. If I remember right, they are on the pasanger side of the engine.

Plugs and wires. Can do myself.

General Tune up. Would let go for a few more miles.

Thanks,

cjthor

Old 04-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

i wouldnt replace the cs unless it failed. those dont work half way. when they go, they go.

if you can do plugs and wires, then you can change the coils no problem. you will need a 5.5mm socket to get them off. but i would want to physically see the "hairline crack" before replacing. dont just take their word for it. and if they are cracked, then youwouldneed 2 coils. one for cyl 1/4, and one for cyl 6/3.

you may consider doing you wires before the coils, and one at a time, to keep the firing order. and use a sharpie or something to write the cyl #s on the wires and coils. as the replacements will not be labeledEdited by: samueljackson