General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Scan tool?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 06:46 PM

This is my first post on this forum. I'm a retired ASE Master tech.

Before I retired, I never considered buying my own scantool. I never needed to. First, we always had a Snap On MT-2500 in the shop, with all the cartridges. Second, I had an old Mercury Zephyr station wagon, and then a 1995 CorollaI bought new during thetime I worked for Toyotaafter I left the Buick GMC franchise shop.

I don't think I needed to jump the test connector during the entire timeI owned theCorolla. Then, I sold it and went "retro," and bought an old 1989 Camry. Never jumped that connector, either.

Well, the Camry just turned 249,000 and it needs a lot of work, so I am about to retire the old girl. I just bought a 1999 Park Ave from a friend out in Ohio, and I am tackling one correction to the car after another. These are clearly maintenance issues from the previous owners, and not a design fault, per se. He's going to get a nice letter from me about what HIS mechanic overlooked. More on that some other time.

One of the last things I need to do to the Park before I take it to someone who still fixes cars for a livingto get a state inspection and emissions test is toaccess theDLC and find the code for the SES light that graced me with its presence today.

Since some of you must have invested in scan tools for the OBD II protocol, which tool did you buy? If I had the need for a pro level tool, I'd splurge and get a top of the line scanner. So, please share what you have done for a reasonable, capable scanner for OBD II.

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-42";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 01-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

</>here's a good one on e-bay. ive seen in stores for about 250-300. nly at 66 bucks so far.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...l?ViewItem&amp ; ;rd=1&amp;item=200191593166&amp;ssPageName=STRK:ME SE:IT&amp; ih=010 </>
Edited by: samueljackson

Old 01-14-2008, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the tip. I may bid on it.