Roadmaster The full size rear-wheel drive Buick of the past, the longest non limo Buicks

95 RM Base front door hinge pin

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 06:56 PM
Default 95 RM Base front door hinge pin

On my RM95 Base Sedan I have front door hinge worn enough to let door sag and rub threshold when open and shut. There is a top hinge and a bottom hinge. Both hinges top and bottom would need their pin's replaced. These pins are short. One pin for the top part of the top hinge and one pin for the bottom part of the same top hinge. This instead of a long pin that travels through both top and bottom half of ONE hinge. These short pins seem to be like rivits and the only way that I can see to remove them by grinding or using a hacksaw to cut through the pin to then possibly drill and then insert a collar for the new pin.
Does anyone have any experience with these pins? I am not able to find replacement hinge pins for these doors such as Dorman..When I find hinges they are for the tailgate of a wagon but of course mine is a Base sedan.

Last edited by RM95K; 12-09-2017 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Edit Email Notification
Old 12-12-2017, 03:38 PM

Ah yes the sagging unaligned door(s). They used to be big, cumbersome and heavy. The pins are probably peaned over on the ends as they would certainly not want them falling out or pulled purposely. Had so much not a worn hinge issue ( some, could lift door up and down maybe 3/8") but door misalignment. Door seams weren't straight on my road runner 2 door but also barely starting to scuff.

What I did was install assorted thickness fender washers behind the hinges (shims) where they're bolted to the door frame. Now this was 40 years ago but I managed to end up with nice straight perfect closing doors. Cars actually would come from the factory with shims for doors, fenders, body on frame alignment and what else? May of had to drill the washer holes bigger, can't recall. Not noticeable at all especially after having the car repainted.

Nobody ever oils their hinges either. Graphite, silicone or something that won't collect dirt works very well. Hate to hear the crunching, can't latch door or fairly new car with squeaking, creaky hinge sets, no excuse for it. Or what about the hood or trunk that won't lock after slamming down 2 or 3 times? It never ends lmao, guess that's what bungi cords are for. Now we're getting into WalMart car show OEM stuff.

Attached Thumbnails 95 RM Base front door hinge pin-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Rich B.; 12-17-2017 at 04:06 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:06 PM

All 91-96 B body (and D body Fleetwoods) door hinges are the same for their location. I may be able to find hinges for you (take what color you can get). The hinge pin is not available. To remove the hinge and replace it, you must remove the front fender, or at least loosen it enough the get to the body to hinge bolts. They lie just under the edge of the front fender, and will hit it long before the bolt comes out. Be careful until you get it corrected, because the door is in very close proximity to the fender, and it is easy to chip the paint on the front of the door and rear edge of the fender. It is really tight in the hinge area, but the door to hinge bolts can be reached with the door open.
In your case the top hinge is worn, and you need to move the hinge, or replace it (you would do top and bottom if you go that far.
There are a number of B body cars in the local P-N-P yards right now, and most have good door hinges, They will be a little expensive for me to get them, because I must do the extra work to loosen/remove the fender to get them out.
If you choose to replace the hinges, latch the door in the correct position, and replace one at a time. The door should align itself as you change the hinges. I did one of the lower hinges when I had the front end off of my wagon, and I did not have to adjust it at all when I was done. The parts are held on with the same bolts as the wagon, just the shape of the fender panels are different.