New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

New member looking forward to start a '65 project

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 11:16 AM
Default New member looking forward to start a '65 project

Hi, thank you in advance for the welcomes. I wouldn't say I am a Buick enthusiast, but I love the '65 Riviera. As such, I am looking forward to my first project and the years of enjoyment I will get out of it after the vision I have in my mind comes to life.

- Marc

Old 07-18-2018, 02:55 PM

I can tell you this, GM made the Cadillac Seville, Buick Riviera and OldsToranodo In the GM assembly plant that used to be in Linden, NJ. Took many folks on tours through there, amazing how they were built. They banged windshields in, jumped on special tools to align hoods and fenders , things we would never think of doing to our vehicles and yet they came out just great. I believe that plant is gone now. Buick has a ride like no other.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:42 PM
Default My Buick beauty

They are absolute beauties, IMHO. They are the right balance between elegance and toughness. Here goes a cheers to me and my 2-3 year (conservatively) project. I'm picking my baby up tomorrow!

Old 07-25-2018, 04:00 AM

Love that bit of info from Hanky. Know what he means, worked at Ametek late 60's. Did the wiring for commercial laundry and dry cleaning machines. Remember was located at the old Liberty Ship yards from WWII South Portland, ME.

But car appears a great platform for starters. Looks all intact and only minor things to be done. Can't see rear quarters or inside trunk or anything but so far so good.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:03 AM

Where do you guys find these things ?
Looks like not a dent in it and all it needs appearance wise is a quality paint job.

Thanks for the pix, please post more as your work progresses !
It's a funny thing , I seem to remember driving up the coast of Maine a while back and thought I was in a military location when I saw a bunch of navy ships docked, I believe it was in "Bath," does that sound right, Rich?

Old 07-26-2018, 11:30 AM

Yes sir Hanky. You were on Rt.1 crossed over the Kennebec River and you saw Bath Iron Works. Major provider of destroyers for the Navy. Going south another 10 miles was Brunswick Naval Air Station, had 38 years over there, was their electronics tech, PWD.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Where do you guys find these things ?
Looks like not a dent in it and all it needs appearance wise is a quality paint job.

Thanks for the pix, please post more as your work progresses !
It's a funny thing , I seem to remember driving up the coast of Maine a while back and thought I was in a military location when I saw a bunch of navy ships docked, I believe it was in "Bath," does that sound right, Rich?
Found this one in Gretna, LA. Guy had it since 2004. I wish it was only paint that was needed. Floorplans are pretty much gone, rust on the front of the hood, and it's gonna need welding in the trunk area. I'm thinking about a $20k restoration cost, if not more. But, I knew that going in.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:10 AM

Roger that on complete inspection Gla. Only thing hope project doesn't get too overwhelming cost, with interest or time wise. Had an '87 Corvette and decided to go through it with upgraded components. Things like paint, upholstery, stainless exhaust, directional tires and so on. So not putting plan fully into action I redecided mid-stream.

Being a 25 year old car and as of 6 years back is still only worth 5K or less even today. So traded before I was really committed and quite happy about. Point being way more can be put into something like that and no recovery. Well, best of luck whichever decision is attempted. https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...viera-for-sale

Forgot, bought a '13 Boss Mustang as replacement, needed nothing of coarse but darn. Did put on a set of Corsa X-treme stainless mufflers but nothing major.

Attached Thumbnails New member looking forward to start a '65 project-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Rich B.; 07-29-2018 at 08:31 AM.