Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here...

Engine Idles ruff

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 03:57 AM

When you rebuilt the carb, did you replace the needle and seat for the float ? You should have, and of course then you would have had to adjust the float level according to the specs provided in the rebuild kit which were spelled out for each carb number. Did you do that critical step? If the float level is set too high, the engine will run rich and could possibly be the cause for the symptoms you are seeing. What engine do you have in the car? I'm trying to recall, the straight 8's had a thermostatic butterfly , but I don't recall if the V 8's had one.
They didn't have unleaded gas in those days and the needle for the float had neoprene rubber for the seating surface. Neoprene did not hold up to unleaded fuel so they had to switch to "Viton". What was the name of the manufacturer for the rebuild kit ?

Old 07-21-2012, 04:43 PM

Hanky,

I did replace the gaskets, accelerator pump and the needle and seat and set the float level. The carb kit came from Cars Inc. I have a 364 nailhead in my car.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:06 AM

Good Morning,
It appears you did everything right. Just have to find why it's running rich.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:03 AM

Hanky,

I have a new question. I pertains to windshield wipers on my 58 Buick Special. I am having a hard time to get them to work. I hooked all of the hoses up but it seems like something is missing. Do you know if there should be a vacuum line coming from down by the oil filter up to the wiper motor? According to the manual they make mention of it but I only could find a metal plug in the side of the crankcase and no line? Any drawings on how these wipers get hooked up from the wiper motor to the glass supply bottle etc.

Thanks

Big D Also my car with your advice is going better and thanks.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:59 PM

Many of those vehicles had what was called a double action fuel pump.
One half (the lower half) supplied fuel to the carb and the other (upper) half supplied constant vacuum for the wipers. This could be how the extra fuel is getting into the engine. If you look at the fuel pump and it looks like two sections then that's what you have.
The only thing I can recall that used a glass supply bottle was when someone added a so called water injector to the vacuum system to add moisture to the incoming air. I think it was more of a gimmik than of any real value.
Without the extra vacuum source from the upper fuel pump section when you stepped on the gas the throttle blades opened up an there wasn't enough vacuum to operate the wipers and they would stop working so they did that to fix the problem.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:53 PM

Interesting. I think the bottle is used for fluid for the windshield. Also I did replace the fuel pump but it is just a single action one that was supplied by the auto parts place as a replacement pump. I do believe the old pump was the style that you mentioned. Do you think I should try and get one that was like the orignial? What are your thoought on that or does it matterl

Old 07-25-2012, 07:12 PM

It depends on what you want. If it were me and I was able to get the kit to rebuild the old pump I would do that if an exact replacement isn't available otherwise if you drive it in any kind of rain you will definitely see the wipers stop when you step in the gas.
If you say the bottle is for the washers, you should know since you are there and I'm not ! I just can't remember if they used plastic or glass for that purpose. If you take a hose and run it from a manifold vacuum spot to the wipers they should work providing the wiper motor is functional. They worked better if you removed the top screws and made sure there was a supply of grease to seal the paddle that worked in the bowel. They weren't really that complicated compared to today's vehicles..

Old 07-27-2012, 08:25 PM

Hanky

I have a new question if you dont mind. I found that I have an exhaust manifold leak on the drivers side where the manifold connects to the cross over exhaust pipe. I saw exhaust puffing out. My question is does this connection have some type of gasket? I see it has to bolts holding them together and not sure if there is some type of gaskets between them.

Thanks,

Old 07-28-2012, 04:32 AM

They used an asbestos sealing ring to seal the connection. Many of today's vehicles still use a sealing ring referred to as a donut.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:27 PM

Do you know if you can still purchase the donut for these manifolds? If so from who?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Engine Idles ruff