General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

91 Regal transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 11:06 AM

91 Regal, elderly mothers car, 71k miles, 4cyl, on second transmission, replaced six years ago, 900 bucks. OD clutch will not disengage while driving. Kills the motor at stop, in any gear. Same problem as the last replacement. I changed the fluid and filter. Looked clean, just a little black film on the magnet in the pan. Trans shifts fine, can't hardly feel it, kicks down into passing gear. Enginesurges at idle, seems somewhat underpowered. Does anyone know what may be causing the transmission problem? I'm somewhat mechanical but getting older and less enthused about laying under a car. I'd like to check out a few things before I have to take it somewhere and get gored.

Thanks,

GeneS.

Old 04-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Administrator

youre sure it is the tranny making the engine stall at a stop? does it seem to have good power across the various RPM ranges?

Old 04-11-2005, 02:13 PM

I'm pretty sure. It's like approaching at stop sign in a standard transmission vehicle and forgetting to push the clutch in. You can restart the engine but as soon as you shift into drive you can tell it's not in a lower gear. If you let the car set for a few hours, it will drive fine until you approach the next stop and then you find it is still locked in overdrive and at about 5mph it just bogs the engine down until it dies.

Old 04-11-2005, 05:14 PM

It's look like your TCC Lockup does'nt disengage itself when needed.

It's a common problem on many Gm 4cyl with auto tranny. You can unplug
it. If you have only one connector with 2 wire on your transmission,
this is the thing to unplug. If it's not the case you will certainly
have to brake switch, one of them is for the tranny. Jumping this
switch will fool your tranny by always telling it that you brake. The
lock up wont engage itself.

Note Your motor will rev more higher on the highway without this.

Old 04-11-2005, 05:39 PM

It does have the two wire plug on the bumper side of the case. It was a little oxidized. I tried to clean it up but wasn't too successfull. She just drives the car in town. It's in absolutely new condition except for this tranny problem. She took it to a guy here and he supposedly replaced the tranny six years ago when it did this for 900 bucks. I was living out of this area then and had no idea she did this. If it will drive ok around town with the solenoid unplugged that would be great. Thanks so much. I will try this tonight. I really appreciate your comments.

GeneS.

Old 04-13-2005, 05:56 PM

Car drives out fine without the overdrive wiring connected, even on the highway. This information needs to be circulated for all us po' folks that really can't justify a majortransmission repair bill.

Thanks again,

GeneS.