General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Broken engine part

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 07:28 AM

Heeeellllllpppppp ! There is a mechanic who's working on my Riviera and he encounters an important problem ; the engine doesn't turn smoothly (it shakes a lot) because the lower pulley (in wich the belt for the alternator and airco compressor are turning) is broken. He allready tried to find this part in the USA but has been unsuccessfull so far ; would anybody know of some establishment where this part could be acquired (new or used, it doesn't matter if only it's intact). The exact construction year and model : Riviera 1980, turbocharged V6 3.8 liter (cubic inch, I wouldn't know 'cause in Europe we have the metric scale). The reference number of this part = 25501860. Any help is more than welcome. Thanks in advance to all fellow buick lovers !

Old 06-13-2006, 07:51 PM

a tensioner? If you can't find one new (doubtfull He's prolly not looking hard) then try auto wreckers, they should be all over the place. Lots of GM 3.8l's out there, you can take it off any GM with a 3.8L.

Asfor where to get one new.. Try LordCo in canada. they usualy have everything, they will ship it. I think www.lordco.ca

Hope that helps.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

do u mean the harmonic balancer or a belt tensioner. whats ur eng code. do u have v belts or a serpentine setup. id guess v belts, then u wouldnt have a tensioner pulley. more info plz

Old 07-09-2006, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

this is the best i could find, its for an 86-87 tho, not 100% sure it will work.

click here

Old 07-14-2006, 07:43 AM

Hi there, I just heard that my part has arrived !! so, I suppose the Riv' will be ready to cruise quite soon now ; it was in fact a harmonic balancer and I've found it in Tulsa, Oklahoma ("Eastwestautoparts") ; so in a few words : I gave a phone call to these people, I 've send an email and they've just sendit to the right adress. Good work, very correct, very quick also, really the no nonsense approach !!Thanks a lot also to Harley and samueljackson ; the first becausehe gave me new ideas of how and where to look, the second because of the great website on wich I'll maybe be able to find other parts in the future. I'll let you folks know when I'm actually on the road .... Greetzzz