General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Anyone HELP!!!!!! Impt Question 92 Buick

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 03:58 PM

I have a 92 Buick Century,yesterday it suddenly wouldnt start so I got it jump started....then today I drove it to school and it wouldnt start again when I turned the ignition I heared a clicking or tapping sound. I've heard it's either battery, starter, or connection??

Old 09-02-2005, 06:32 PM

Assuming you've had no warning lights, probably the connections. Since cleaning them is easy, that's the first thing to do. Do they look crusty? Remove the terminals (negative first) and clean inside them and the posts. Replace tightly (negative last).

Second thing is battery replacement. How old is it? Depending on your usage, if over 4 years, it'sprobably best to replace. Just be sure your alternator is charging properly, or the new one will go too.

It's possible, but unlikely, that you need a new starter. Edited by: MrBSS

Old 10-22-2005, 12:38 AM

well, if jumping it makes it start, it's not your starter. There are 3 things it could be, one, and the first one to check is your alternator,take a VOM to it and see if you're getting any amperage out? if not then u know what it is. if it's not that then it's most likely your battery, what happens is, after years of use the led plates in your battery shed, the led turns into small flakes and grains that settle down at the bottom of the battery. Usualy it ok, untill it builds up too much in one point shorting out a couple or few of the plates, so now you're not putting out 12v you're putting out 10v. or something like that, even tho your amperage might still be high, this fools your cars computer into thinking the battery's dead when infact it's usualy got more than enuff amperage when tested with a meter.

If you're lazey, just get a new battery, use it, if your problem keeps up, it's your alternator. An alternator will not kill your battery unless it's amperage output is to high, wich only happens if you bought that 2000 dollar part. Remember the life expectancey of a battery is only 5 years, in best conditions. I would say replacing it every 3 years is the way to go, that way you'll always have a reliable spare battery(s) too.