General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

DEXCOOL

Old 08-22-2005, 12:36 PM

I understand GM has had many problems with the Dexcool coolant.

Does GM still install and recommend it? If so, have they modified it or it's recommended usage? To what do they attributethose problems? Is there any authoritative independent opinion either for or against?

For those who feel it should not be used, do you recommend we go back to the standard "green", or the new "gold", or something else?

Thanks for passing on your experience.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:53 AM

Well, I guess I'll just post my further thinking on this.

I need to change myexisting Dexcoolwith new Dexcool or something else, right away. I cleaned out the overflow bottle2 weeks ago and it's again "sooty".Also, the low coolant warning is lit, although the coolant is not low. I hadremoved and cleaned the sensor, which temporarily stopped the warning. The sensor is in a clear bulb, so it may be triggered optically, so maybe the "soot" is causing it to trigger. I'll probably replace the sensor anyway. I'm also getting a slight film on the windshield which may indicate some heater core leak (I sure hope not- I may add some stop-leak pellets when I change coolant).

I'm thinking of going to the Zerex G-02 "Gold" coolant. That is a HOAT (Hybrid Organic AcidTechnology), compared to the Dexcool OAT (Organic Acid Technology). I have used it for about 80,000 miles in my Ford F150 (Ford approved and recommended) with no problems.

It wouldsomewhat simplify things to use the same coolant, and I believe the "Gold" is generally superior to the "Orange" (as well as the old standard "Green"), but I am reluctant to go contrary to GM's Dexcool recommendation, for fear of unintended consequences.

I would appreciate any comments, particularly if anyone has used the "Gold" coolant in a GMvehicle.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:06 AM

Well, I decided to stay with the Dexcool. I think the no silicate formula will postpone the need to replace my water pump (all the other formulas seem to have silicates). As long as I don't try to go 150,000 miles without changing coolant, I don't think the Dexcool will cause me any problems.

Search this Thread