Buick  Forum - Buick Enthusiasts Forums

Buick Forum - Buick Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.buickforum.com/forum/)
-   Sights N Sounds (https://www.buickforum.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-12/)
-   -   92 Roadmaster replacing doors (https://www.buickforum.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-12/92-roadmaster-replacing-doors-8017/)

123mike 06-20-2018 04:10 PM

92 Roadmaster replacing doors

My Buick was t- boned and the driver and rear doors are crushed. I want to reuse the crashed Doors inside panels and the wiring. Do I have to cut the wires and resolder them or is there a connector inside the car? I don't see a connector for the rear door and something is preventing me from feeding the wires out of the door. Is there a grommet holding the wire bundles inside the door. I should be able to feed all the door wires back out the main entry hole. Right? Any input or tips is appreciated

hanky 06-21-2018 01:07 PM

Most of the time wire harnesses and wiring are usually anchored to prevent unnecessary movement that could cause "rub through" or accidental short circuit paths.
You might need to undo the inside panels to see this and release the clips,anchors/clamps.

123mike 06-22-2018 04:27 PM

Thx Hanky. I had to unthread all wires in the front door out the wire hole by the hinges. No big main plug inside the body. The back door was so crushed, the door wires were all crunched tight in the door. I had to cut the 7 door wires in the door jam and splice them in the new door. Amazingly, I got all the electrics working. My 180 bucks for two junk yard doors paid off. I need to find a big torx bit to reset the door jams so the doors shut tight and I ordered some new window regulator guide clips since the rear window is popping off track. Cheers

123mike 06-22-2018 04:46 PM

Thx Hanky. I had to unthread all wires in the front door out the wire hole by the hinges. No big main plug inside the body. The back door was so crushed, the door wires were all crunched tight in the door. I had to cut the 7 door wires in the door jam and splice them in the new door. Amazingly, I got all the electrics working. My 180 bucks for two junk yard doors paid off. I need to find a big torx bit to reset the door jams so the doors shut tight and I ordered some new window regulator guide clips since the rear window is popping off track. Cheers

123mike 06-22-2018 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my 82 year neighbors car. Insurance did not want to fix it and gave her cash. I told her I could fix cheap and fast and we both will benefit. It has 442,000 Grandma miles on it. The car is a 92, The doors are from a 95. I little different trim and the mirrors are in different places. Whole car gets a front yard paint spray later.

Fred Kiehl 06-22-2018 05:13 PM

91-93 B body doors are all the same for the front. Roadmaster sedan only doors in the rear. The attachment clips for the 91-93 interior mounts are the same as well. 94 door exterior is the same, but has the 94 interior mounts are different. The mounts can be swapped from the 91-93. You can swap the other front door for a 95 and make the mirrors symmetrical. The 95-96 mirrors are more desirable, and only fit the 95-6 doors.

You can move the strikers to make the doors shut tighter. The B pillar may be bent slightly, so check it out before doing a lot of tweaking.

hanky 06-23-2018 06:31 AM

Instead of the torx tool, I have managed to adjust the striker post with a pair of vise grips.

Fred Kiehl 06-23-2018 06:37 AM

The vice grips method can damage the striker, or the sheetmetal of the jam. The car is designed to have the striker loosened, and positioned, then retightened.

123mike 06-23-2018 07:39 AM

Fred, I was able to switch the 92 front inside door panel into the 95 purple doors. Remove 4 rivets that held metal arm rest support from the 92 door and re bolted to the 95. Took out the white plastic pull handle nuts, they fit right into the 95 door. My junk yard door was missing all the front switches.

i like the look of the 92 mirrors over the 95. If I pull the panel off again, I may try remounting the 92 mirror on the 95 door.

One other difference was
The 95 door had a transmitter for a remote door lock while the 92 did not.

im going to cut the door key lock out of the 92 maybe I can switch it into the 95

Fred Kiehl 06-23-2018 08:42 AM

The lock is a pain to change, but is do-able, and will make it a keyed alike car again.

You can not mount the 92 mirror on the 95 door, because there is no recess for it to mount. If you want both sides the same, you need a matching door.

The electric lock will still function without the keyless entry, and you should leave it there, and hook it up.

The switches and connectors for a 95 are different from the 92, so use the 92 switches, and wiring. If you need a switch panel, I have some, but I need to know the color...Red, Camel, or Blue.