Roadmaster The full size rear-wheel drive Buick of the past, the longest non limo Buicks

I'm news here and need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 05:45 PM
Default I'm news here and need advice

Hi everyone,
I'm located in Canada . I own and owned lots of Gm cars and n trucks . Now I own 1980 4 speeds camaro for the last 3 years. Tons of fun and power .now I'm moving on and selling to to get a wagon RoadMaster or Caprice. From my understanding the 6:40:23 PM 5.7 is the one to look for and the year 1995 .
Beside looking for rust I believe those cars are strong like a tank v anything to look for ?
Not too many posted for sale so I'm keeping my eyes open to find the correct one. It will be a weekend car . I have 4 kids so that's why I'm looking only at wagons. Dose the front seat have a spot and seat belt in the middle for an extra passenger?
And if anyone here in Ontario Canada. Where can I find good examples for sale? And what they go for ?
Thanks,
Zaid

Attached Thumbnails I'm news here and need advice-13221240_10154150833049720_3337479635805983502_o.jpg  
Old 02-01-2018, 03:49 PM

Have you thought about leasing one of the new Buick SUV's? Think I've seen them for a few hundred a month. Leasing isn't for everyone, especially if a lot of miles is planned. It doesn't appeal to me personally either as I hate monthly payments but a friend of mine swears by it. Has a new truck every 2 years or so but of coarse he never owns anything outright lol. http://dealers.car.com/lease-bing/buick

Last edited by Rich B.; 02-01-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:04 PM

thanks for the input . i have a minivan for the family, and i have a 400hp bmw wagon. i just needed something smooth for weekend drives and i like those cars ...im thinking now to just get a sedan as its easier to find.
Originally Posted by Rich B.
Have you thought about leasing one of the new Buick SUV's? Think I've seen them for a few hundred a month. Leasing isn't for everyone, especially if a lot of miles is planned. It doesn't appeal to me personally either as I hate monthly payments but a friend of mine swears by it. Has a new truck every 2 years or so but of coarse he never owns anything outright lol. Buick Lease: Get The Dealer's Lowest Buick Price | Car.com

Old 02-02-2018, 05:11 PM

Roger that ZM on the weekend drives up there in the Canadian Rockies. Nice Camaro by the way.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:14 PM

I would look for a southern US car, Florida/Texas/Arizona/New Mexico/Nevada/California. Check the Carfax for accidents and reconstructed titles. 94&95 have OBD 1.5, and the 96 has OBDII. The engines, computers, and transmissions are not compatible between any of the 94-96 cars without some modification.
Check for leaks at the cargo bay grab handles (either the side glass, or the roof seam under the edge of the roof rail). The Roadmasters have really cheap door interiors, and often are falling apart. The Caprice panel is a little better, but the arm rests are known to disintegrate. The Caprice does not have the vista glass, and is a little less prone to leaks from above. The Caprice never came with automatic climate control, and the Roadmaster always came with it. You can check the CEL codes through the Roadmaster climate control unit.
Do not accept any rust at the rear quarters, and look for rust at the bottom of the B pillar, and on the D pillars. Check the gate hinges for looseness of the hinge/glass connection. The Caprice did not always have remote lock/unlock. The Roadmaster always has remote lock/unlock.
Check the SPID on the passenger's side of the gate jam for option codes.
All of the B-body cars with the 60/40 seat have a center belt. They can seat 3 in front, 3 in the rear, and 2 in the tailgunner seat (kids will fight to sit in the tailgunner seat).
The Roadmasters have a trim panel on the rear doors that is known as the "flyaway" panel. They can fly off at any time, and usually when you are going 75 on the highway. By the time you get back to them, they have been run over by at least 10 cars.
The plastic nut that holds the Roadmaster headlight switch to the dash is notorious for breaking. They are hard to find, but occasionally one shows up in a junk yard, and does not break when removed. They were still available from the dealer a couple of years ago, and may still be (about $12USD).
The 91-93 cars are a different animal for the drive train, but physically are about the same.
The rarest B-body wagon is the 96 Caprice, only about 650 made.
I keep a stock of many hard to find parts.

Last edited by Fred Kiehl; 02-06-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:25 AM

That’s great info, Fred! Well done.

As far as finding cars you can just type in the full year, make, and model on the search. This will get a number of car brokers that you can search.

there is also a classic station wagon site that lists a lot of wagons from the eariestbto the latest. That’s where I got this one from. See below.

Byron

https://www.cars-on-line.com/stationwagon.html

Last edited by Bentwings; 03-18-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:51 AM

Check here, and you may find a good wagon for sale. GM Longroof Forum
Another place to check is the impalassforum.com.