Roadmaster The full size rear-wheel drive Buick of the past, the longest non limo Buicks

94 RM Estate Wagon fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 07:34 PM

I did some reading up on these injector cleaners. The top one are Redline, Lucas and Chevron. Al,use a fancy chemical named product that really does go after injector deposits according to independent tests. They all want you to use the stuff every 3000 miles but considering you go 100k before any trouble I question this.

Anyway i though there would be no harm in trying it. If it works even a little I’ll add more. More is always better. Right? Hopefully this will,cure it.

i May try the studder too, we’ll see. If the trans is diying I’d be really disappointed as the car only has 110 k on it. Many of there cars have 2-300 k and are still running strong.

After this ill do,plugs and wires. I can see needing them even though the wires look pretty good.

wiggling the ECM and coil wires will be next.

basically do the easy stuff first. They need to be done anyway.

byron

Old 08-05-2018, 02:53 AM

Are you putting Reg grade fuel into the tank, if so , before adding anything suggest you try 1 or 2 tankfuls of premium grade gas.

Car will run OK with Regular, but premium leaves less deposits and usually will clean the injectors.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:11 AM

Already done that. I also experimented with non oxy premium in my restored 77 el Camino SS. It’s more sensitive to gas quality than the Buick. Still No real difference in mpg. I couldn’t tell the difference in driving either car at all. I do run the El Camino down on gas before winter then run a couple tanks of non oxy premium for winter storage.

Ive driven the Buick 6k miles and the el Camino 8 k miles this year. I keep gas and mpg records for each.

Byron

Old 08-13-2018, 07:16 AM

Update on the shudder.

i took the car to a trans shop that also could read the OBD 1 codes. They had it in the shop for an hour and checked all code systems. Nothing wrong on the motor, ABS or AC.

However the lock up clutch in the converter is failing....slipping causing the shudder.

he said $800 out the door for a new converter......however the trans will go before long as the wear particles have gone through it. So he said I’ll be in for a trans o’haul plus another converter.
Bottom line $2800 out the door for new slightly higher stall converter and trans o’haull with upgraded planetary, clutches, shift kit and a couple other mods. It will shift more firmly but not harsh, the converter will have the best clutch. It will be a noticeable feel like another gear when it locks up.
50k mile warrantee.

i thought it a bit steep so I’m going to try another shop for a quote.

byron

Old 08-14-2018, 01:57 AM

Just a little side note,
I would ask about the warranty, are you required to bring the vehicle in any particular times for what kind of service for the warranty to be honored?
I believe you are doing the best thing by getting different estimates and being aware of the fine print in any warranty.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:08 AM

Good thought. I’ll ask him.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:49 AM

The warrantee is twomyears at any Kenedy trans shop.

I’m going in this week for another estimate at a local grand repair shop. They may pull the pan to see if there is trash in it.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:21 AM

If you are getting the parts you noted, the price installed does not sound all that bad. I had my trans built to take 500 hp. It cost me about $1400 without installation, another $500 for the 2400-2600 rpm stall torque converter, and 12 quarts of trans fluid. Due to the nature of my installation, there was no warranty on the one I bought. Depending on the installation costs in your area, they are not far off.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:34 PM

I went to another shop today and told him right out I wasn’t interested in throwing parts at a mysterious symptom.

he agreed. He also has an OBD1 scanner.

He called later in the day and said he scanned everything and took it for a test drive. He said it doesn’t shudder like a slipping converters. He said it’s easy to be mid led if you haven’t experienced both bad converts and engine misfires. The scanner won’t show misfires but the check engine light comes on and off.
This is because misfires cause the O2 sensor to read incorrectly and the computer tries to fix it. It’s a chain of events. He thinks the trans is healthy.

so he said let’s put spark plugs in it and look at the old ones. Then we will go for another drive. He didn’t think the wires were bad as they are pretty clean and no water is dripping out of the water pump onto the Opti Spark. New plugs installed is pretty cheap so I said ok and I’d like to go for a ride after that or take it home. For a day or so. He agreed. He said about an hour and a half for R & R on spark plugs.

Byron

Old 11-14-2018, 07:36 AM

I finally got the car back.

new plugs, wires, OptiSpark and water pump. The oil seal behind the OptiSpark failed and filled the thing up with oil. It was a mess. This OptiSpark was the one with the vent line to the intake. This line was also full of oil.

so back together, the motor ran fine but still choked under heavier throttle. We tested the catalytic converters and the left side while within temp specs was pretty well plugged up. So a new cat was installed. This all fixed the standard driving but now heavy throttle causes a messy and rough downshift and loss of power. Manually shifting to 3 is firm and power is better but still drops off at 60-70. The upshift is nice to OD and you can barely feel or hear the converter engage.

So back to the shop shop after Thanksgiving.

Quick Reply: 94 RM Estate Wagon fuel pump