Regal (1973-2004) Buick's sporty mid-sized sedan

Service Engine Soon Light on and having crappy gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 11:22 PM
Default Service Engine Soon Light on and having crappy gas mileage

Ok I've been under the hood of many cars before and I've been under the hood and under the car with this one but I can't figure out why my service engine soon light is on and I'm having really bad gas milage. I'll fill my tank halfway and most of my driving is highway but I only go about 50-55 miles in a day and have to refill every other day. The air filter is new, tires are inflated properly, windows up, exhaust is fine, etc. I don't know if I have OBDII or OBDI. And I need help getting my high beams to work.

1993 Buick Regal, 3800 V6 with 148xxx miles.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:52 AM

The first thing to do would be to get the reason the SES light is on. Some auto supply stores will read the codes for free, but you may have a problem because the car has an OBD I system. You can get the codes yourself just using a paper clip on your particular car.
Once you have some direction from the code, which by the way will tell you what system has the problem, you can go from there.
What kind of maintenance has been done to the vehicle like plugs ,wires etc.?

Old 10-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Question Ok

Ok I took it to my father's parts store and it said code 43. How could I check the codes with a paperclip and what is code 43? Google searching right now.

Did the paperclip check and this is the codes spit out.

Code 43 Electronic spark timing (EST) circuit - low voltage
detected
Electronic spark control (ESC) - circuit problems

Code 21 Throttle position sensor (TPS) - signal voltage is high

Code 36 Mass air flow (MAF) sensor - burn-off circuit problem
Transmission shift problem (electronically controlled
transmissions only)
Direct ignition system (DIS) fault - loss of 24X signal or
extra or missing pulses in electronic spark timing (EST)
signal
Ignition system fault - loss of High Resolution Pulse
signal

Read more: I have a 1994 Buick Regal Custom (4dr) and I just got the ... - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/car/19wnt-...#ixzz2APufTiE6

Now it also spit out a 68 and a 99 but I have no idea what those are.

Last edited by Junkyardjames87; 10-26-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:52 PM

Sir james,
I would suspect you have a bad ground for for the computer system. Sometimes the ground for the system was the eyelet at the thermostat housing. Look for the grounds where the wiring harness goes from the engine to the inside of the vehicle.
That is why some of the code readings are high because there is either no ground or a poor ground to pull the voltages down to where they should be.
Your last two codes were related to the cruise control. Once you clean all the ground connections you will probably lose most if not all of the codes.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:19 PM

Ok so I've gone through the car and found no bad grounds but I did just yesterday replaced the battery terminals and cleaned the wires. So this morning I went out to the car and drove it around a bit and decided to check the codes again because it sounded different. Well now I only have the 43 trouble code. It is the ESC/Knock sensor that's bad.

Another thing to, on the 3800 V6 Series I engine GM has discontinued a major part that I have found breaks really easily. It's the black plastic cover that goes over our PCV Valve. No one else I have found makes it but I have remembered that my 1995 Pontiac Bonneville used the exact same motor and I can find the same part for it. So I ordered that yesterday and will be here today. If it fits then I'm all set. The only thing that was different between the Regal and the Bonneville was these little plastic holders on the top of the cap.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:33 PM

Glad you found the problem. Let us know how you make out mileage wise, Thanks.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:09 PM

Well after I went out and bought a knock sensor I went to replace the old one and saw the the old one's wire was cut. Well I went and just reconnected it and it was fine. I now. Have a chugging problem when I'm going down the highway at about 55-60 MPH. I have replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, air filter, coolant flush and fill, changed the oil and filter. I don't know What else to do.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:35 AM

What did you end up finding out was causing the chugging ??