Regal (1973-2004) Buick's sporty mid-sized sedan

Key stuck in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 12:38 PM

Gentlefolk;

First time here, so forgive me if I have missed this discussion elsewhere.

My wife's '02 Buick Regal ignition lock has apparently futzed up. The lock will not make the final "click" to take it out of the Accessory location and release the key. As a result, the key is stuck in the ignition lock.

Is this a common problem?

How is this fixed? Is this a dealer fix, or something simple that an average person can do?

Many thanks!

Don

Old 03-27-2006, 03:15 PM

It depends...the most likely cause is that the steering lock is binding. Try turning the wheel one way or the other to release the pressure while turning the key. Sometimes playing with the gearshift and brake will help.

Old 03-28-2006, 12:20 PM

Did all that... not a bind, its a flat refusal to get to the exit position.

Well, the wife got an extended warranty, and its at the dealer's now...suspicions include neutral safety switch or faulty park indicator. We shall see.

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2006, 11:28 PM

It is most likely the shift control (the floor shifter lever assembly). It has a switch that keeps you from turning the key off if the car is in gear. It is a safty thing. If the switch goes bad it wont let the key turn off all the way. If you have ever spilt soda or something sticky down in there it that can mess it up and make it stick too but it probably is just bad. Sometimes wiggleing the shift lever in and out of park can get the key out. There is also a plug on the bottom of the column that you can remove and using a small screwdriver or something that will fit up in the hole to realese the lock cylinder to get the key out.

Old 04-28-2006, 01:22 AM

I have a 99 Regal LS with the same problem. About 50% of the time, when I turn the car off, the key won't go all the way to the "off" position to remove it. I turned off the auto door lock feature and it didn't help. I suspect the switch inside the shifter console not signaling the car is in Park but just don't know. This is driving me CRAZY. I can often times turn the key back on and try again a few times and it will come out without ever touching the shifter again. But, sometimes I have to turn the key back on, put the car back is some gear and then back in Park again and then the key will go to off and pull out. This is so annoying. This car only has 43k original miles and it has so man problems like this - pass. side window won't roll down, "down" on pwr. mirror switch is out, pwr. driver seat won't work in one position., temp gage will has a short and will erratically jump to hot and stay a while then back to normal (I can tap on instrument cluster and make it jump back if it doesn't go back on its own). But the key getting stuck in the ignition switch is just the end of the road...

Old 04-30-2006, 01:01 AM

Gentlefolk;

Rude of me to start a thread then ignore responses.. my apologies. The car was fixed by replacing the ignition switch. My wife got some third-party extended warranty, which covered the bulk of the cost. It appears the bulk of the time was rigging things so one key continued to work for the ignition and the doors. But , the Regal is back on the road again!

Thanks for all your comments.

Don

Old 05-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Administrator

so it was a bad cylinder?