Regal (1973-2004) Buick's sporty mid-sized sedan

01 Regal Cat Converter Probs

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:03 AM

Ok, I'm having a serious time with the catalytic converter on my 2001 Regal LS.

I just replaced the cat converter in....September or October of 06, when I was told that the one that had been on the car was NOT the original.

Now, it needs to be replaced AGAIN, a mere 6 months later (the other should still be under some sort of warranty, right? Please?). I'm not car savvy, but I'm pretty sure this ISN'T normal. I do drive a lot, and yes, I'm a teen so I put my car through a hard time, to say the least, but I'd say this is a bit excessive.

From what I've read so far on the internet, I've been able to gather that the 01 Regals in particular have had a time with the converters, so I'd really appreciate it if someone out there could tell me what is going on, or if I'm just doomed to have to replace this piece of equipment every 6 months of my cars' life.

Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated. Please and thank you.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Administrator

what exactly is going wrong with the cat? is it getting plugged, or coming apart inside? or are you just throwing codes that suggest that the cat is bad?

Old 05-15-2007, 09:41 AM

Yes...just because somebody wants to sell you a replacement, we cannot guess the problem.

I am not aware of any particular weakness there.

I would certainly ask a lot of questions of the guy who replaced it 6 months ago.

Edited by: MrBSS