Project and Build Forum Post pics and step by step instructions for any projects or car builds you are working on to keep everyone updated.

1955 Buick Roadmaster restoration project.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:47 AM
TNT
Default 1955 Buick Roadmaster restoration project.

My dad got a 55 Buick roadmaster for his 30th birthday. He is now 56 and it has sat in the weeds all this time. I pulled it out and began working on it. As of now the engine will fire up and idle, but when shifted into gear will move at less than a mile an hour. Brakes were redone but may be at fault, same with transmission. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what could be the culprit?

Old 08-06-2018, 04:21 AM

When in gear does it bog motor down while retaining idle and RPM? Probably not brakes in general but parking brake won't release. Too bad it sat in the weeds for so long, must of been part of the landscape. Tranny, yeah may need some attention or linkage for shift selection is in array?

Last edited by Rich B.; 08-06-2018 at 04:26 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:07 PM

Boy I remember those !
The trans was variable pitch Dynaflow.. Beautiful car with lots of chrome on the dash and chrome strips holding up the headliner .Real nice heavy car !

If I recall correctly they had contact points in the distributor. That should be checked with the fuel filter since moisture could have got into the tank.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:45 PM
TNT

Originally Posted by Rich B.
When in gear does it bog motor down while retaining idle and RPM? Probably not brakes in general but parking brake won't release. Too bad it sat in the weeds for so long, must of been part of the landscape. Tranny, yeah may need some attention or linkage for shift selection is in array?
it does bog the motor down. We backed the parking brake cable off and made sure that each wheel would spin freely. Transmission was given new fluid but it doesnt appear to be mixing with the old fluid

Old 08-06-2018, 08:47 PM
TNT
Default Reply

Originally Posted by hanky
Boy I remember those !
The trans was variable pitch Dynaflow.. Beautiful car with lots of chrome on the dash and chrome strips holding up the headliner .Real nice heavy car !

If I recall correctly they had contact points in the distributor. That should be checked with the fuel filter since moisture could have got into the tank.
we went through and checked contact points in the distributor. Fuel tank was entirely redone with a new float added. We are using aviation fuel since it has no ethanol as well.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:47 AM

Personally, I do not think using av gas is a good idea. . Those engines were not made to use that.. There was a time that 100+ octane was available in those years and it did considerable damage to the engines and lots of people lost their warranty using that stuff.

What kind of checks did you use in checking the points? You needed a dwell meter to set them and a bad condenser would give the symptoms you are seeing.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:19 AM

Hanky has some good advice on this. Wondering though if tranny is engaged as it sounds and fluid not mixing it may be a blockage there. Was filter ever changed? A messy job, fluid goes all over and usually new gasket required.

Best fix ever was the time I soldered a petcock valve in my tranny pan on my Lil Red Express Truck. Was having trouble with the bands adjust and required a new spacer (old one bent). So after a few times...... Came up with that idea, worked perfect. Factory manuals made it easy fixing such things but never outlined the better short cut ways for repairs��

Last edited by Rich B.; 08-07-2018 at 04:22 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:00 PM

Ingenuity is a wonderful thing and has brought many good new ideas to the forefront.
I get a little uneasy thinking about a petcock on a trans pan.. Because you know it is there most likely determines how careful you are about where you drive.
There are people that manage to drive rocks , stones and unbelievable things through trans pans and a petcock there scares me.I guess it depends on where you placed it.

Just think how handy it would be to be able to drain a fuel tank you needed to drop just to replace the in tank fuel pump. As you know the darn pumps never fail with a 1/4 or less fuel in the tank darn near always right after you fill the tank. A plug there would be a great idea except enterprising individuals now have a way to get fuel in spite of how dangerous it might be.