New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

New from Minnesota

Old 03-18-2018, 10:30 AM
Default New from Minnesota

Hi, I just joined. I just got a really nice 94 Buick RoadMaster Estate. It’s only got 100k on the clock. Wonderfull car! Very surprising amount of power. We still have some snow and it gets too wet for much of a road test but being a hotrodder I’ll give it the full test. It will be competing with my 77 el Camino SS for road duties. Both cars can burn rubber easily so I’ll compare road tests this spring. The el Camino handles better since I’ve done suspension and tire work already on it. But the Buick does it a bit more comfortably. LOL

My Buick is Dark cherry metallic with blond wood grain so it does stand out. It’s name when I purchased it is Rosemarie, it’s fitting so it will remain. It’s never seen a winter and ther is very little rust underneath. Just the rear end cast iron and some other cast parts that either were not painted or wore off. I’ll get after the under side in the spring at my son’s shop.

The leather interior is spotless. The front seats have been sat upon but the second and rear seats look like new. The carpeting is perfect.

I have some questions so ill post them in threads later.

Byron

Old 03-18-2018, 11:47 AM

Nice intro and choices for ownership. Would like to hear more also on the El Camino, didn't realize those were around late seventies. Also desperately need new posts, mine are quite boring about now.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:13 PM

Ok, here is the el Camino story. I was actually just passingly looking at classic cars at a local dealer. He had a Pontiac I was interested in but it was way too high priced for what it was. I wandered around the showroom and spotted the 77 el Camino SS. I had only ever seen one years ago at a Good Guys event. I had a 77 in 78 that I drove for many years until it just rotted apart so I knew what they were.

Looking at this one the black color was perfect with the white SS markings. Opening the hood I saw it had a crate motor replacing the awful emission motor the original had. The interior was spotless light gray. So I took it for a ride. It was -5 degrees in Dec so a bit hard to test drive. It was a flawless ride like a 40 year old new car. No rattles and a great highway car. I drove about a half hour as it was just pure fun. I though I just couldn’t let this one go even though I was looking for something else. It was just too good. So I made an offer and we had a deal.

This 4th gen (73-77) el Camino is the largest, heaviest and least popular of all el Caminos. Parts are a bit hard to get but getting better as more of these come out of hiding. They do have one saving grace and that is the suspension is shared by our B body big cars. This fixes the horrible front end geometry of all other el Caminos. It only takes larger front and rear sway bars and larger wheels and tires to make these into great handling and riding cars. You can lower them a little and get better shocks too. The wheel wells are really big so there is little chance of interference.

This one has 3.42 gears and a nice tight positraction rear end so with the T350 and the 300 hp motor it moves out pretty nice. I can carve corners way faster than is comfortable in most cars although I do take it easy. This car has a hardwood deck in the bed and a lift up tonneau cover so it’s nice in the back too. The body has been restored even though it only had about 70k on it. It rides firm but not harsh. Harder than the Buick but the same feel. The el Camino has a much faster steering ratio so it would feel twitchy to a Buick driver.

Its quite a bit bit lower than the Buick and has doors about 50 inches long so you have to pay attention to parking. Getting in at my age is not feet first, it’s rear end first then feet. Wagon drivers would feel claustrophobic in these cars. However once the door closes it’s quiet. Starting the motor you hear the distinctive rumble of Flowmasters. It guzzles gas at about 14 on a good day maybe 16 highway. I’m looking at adding multi port EFI and an overdrive in the spring.

The only problem ive had was with the AC. These were R12 but this one was converted and uses the serpentine belt system and similar compressor to the Buick. The compressor seized up probably due to improper purging before the conversion to R134. It took several days of screwing around to get it working correctly but I finally got it right.

I also added a remote solenoid to the starter. Last week the alternator seized up so I fixed that too. But these are the only problems so far. I drove it 12k miles last year in about 9 months.

I havent posted pictures here yet but ill try shortly

Byron

Last edited by Bentwings; 03-18-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:31 PM

This will be a couple shots of the Buick and the el Camino. I’ll get better pictures of the Buick when we get rid of the snow.

An interesting thing happened a week ago, I got to drive all of my fleet back to back in one day. Radically different driving experiences!

Byron

Attached Thumbnails New from Minnesota-8e0ad63a-49ce-4223-bf98-2542600b1163.jpeg   New from Minnesota-d15698ef-91ff-45c7-a30a-943012d0272a.jpeg   New from Minnesota-8b52456f-6b22-42a5-ac57-bed4f850e16b.jpeg   New from Minnesota-39a8a579-4239-4ba7-ab06-f2144f85efa0.jpeg   New from Minnesota-93cbf11e-bab4-4536-96fb-568f02c3e42a.jpeg  

Last edited by Bentwings; 03-18-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:57 PM

Thank you much on write ups and photos. The Roadmaster looks great, I'd guess it a late model (I don't know by years for Buick) and El Camino is very well done. Is that auto or manual? Doesn't really matter, gorgeous either way.

I'm beginning to get the impression the older Buicks are desirable if in good condition to start with. Not having to put a bundle into getting up to par.

Had an '87 Corvette but seemed after a decade I no longer found it all that intriguing and if I was going to upgrade things it still would be worth only $5K in the end and that was 6 years ago. Traded for a '13 Boss Mustang and we bought our first Buick 2 years ago a '16 LaCrosse. Wouldn't have either one if still working, couldn't afford the gas. So retired since 2011 and it's true, you have way more income retired than working. I never believed it either until it happened to me lol.

Oh too, a lot to be said about the Dodges. Had the '79 Dodge 'Lil Red Express Truck and loved it. One of those things everybody is your friend when you have a PU Called those the "World's Fastest Production Pickup" with a 360CID and whopping 225HP lmao. But in '79 it was good, faster 1/4 mile than that year Corvette. Those maybe 200HP, what was I thinking?

Last edited by Rich B.; 03-18-2018 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Fun post here.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:53 PM

Yeah, it’s surprising that you can get along just fine on a quarter of the pre retirement income. I now have two Streetrods, a one ton dually, giant scale rc Warbird., Australian Shepherd dog...really created in America, played my final 5 years of baseball, train dogs, and still work at a fun job.....and no race cars or boats. LOL

It takes a whole life time to learn to retire. I always thought only old people retired. Well, here I am....an old people....even have an old people car. LOL

Old 03-18-2018, 05:29 PM

LoL, roger that on retirement philosophy. Don't mind the age factor at all either. Have one of those Fitbits and think it was maybe 3 years ago or so they said I had walked the distance of the TransSiberian RR. 8 thousand something miles, maybe only averaging 48 miles per week, adds up. Have to stay alive to get my money back after all those years.

Last edited by Rich B.; 03-18-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:19 AM

Today’s humor.

Neighbor in next stall in our underground garage just called my wagon a land yacht......she asked what cruises I had available....should I key her Pro charger Challenger or just super glue her locks? my Australian Shepherd says she would love to “mark” those black wheels. ( I talk dog too...) LOL

Maybe I’ll just tie up the wash stall washing and waxing both the wagon and my el Camino. It could take all day if I detail each one.

The Big Buick got 19 mpg on its first tank that I recorded. Not bad at all.

byron

Old 03-20-2018, 04:31 PM

LoL, now that's funny. Be nice if a few others would answer in forums too. I've had over 500 views on my bio and I'm clueless about it, so they're looking anyways. The Roadmaster mileage is amazing, our LaCross is only maybe 25MPG (I'd have to look), has never got ever 30MPG even on trips.

Yes too, wash the car all winter long out in the driveway if it's sunny and a tad above freezing. Works good as I have one of those collapsing hoses which is perfect for cold day washes. Pushes all the water out after using and only about 10' to 50' stretch out. Try to wash tomorrow before the next Nor'Easter shows up.