New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

New Buick owner/member from Australia

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 04:00 AM
Default New Buick owner/member from Australia

My 1941 Buick 44 Special (Series 40A) Business Coupe
In Early August this year, I purchased this 1941 Buick Special Business Coupe from Melbourne, Australia (800km / 500 miles) from my home in Adelaide, Sth Australia. It replaces my factory RHD 1948 Chevy Fleetline Aerosedan (which is for sale). I'm really a Chevy guy and this is my first Buick (and my favorite year), so I consider myself very fortunate to obtain not only a 1941, but a very rare body style in this country. The car had sat for 11 years after the death of it's elderly owner, who left the car to his (then) 16yo grandson who stored the car unused for all that time before deciding to sell it. Needless to say, I'm over the moon. It's an extremely nice example but due to sitting for 11yrs the brakes needed rebuilding and a general going-over. In just 6 weeks on the road I've driven her over 600 miles already, with many more to come (I drive my cars a lot). I also own a 1965 Chevy Impala SS Sport Coupe (65,000 genuine miles). I will be removing the 1980's Holden mirrors and the unusual spot lights. I've already removed the huge English (Notek, Fogmaster) fog lights (9" wide x 8" high) from the front of the car.

I look forward to learning lots more from other people on this forum.

Last edited by OzBuick; 12-13-2018 at 04:13 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:40 AM

Very nice, also a great selection of other cars and models. Not sure if Australia climate is similiar to Midwest here. Meaning hot and dry, cars rust out bad and quick up in Norteast where I'm at.

Learning from "us" or don't expect much from me lol. I'm looking forward to learning much from yourself

Old 12-14-2018, 10:45 PM

Thanks Rich, here in South Australia we have a Mediterranean Climate just like California. Hot & dry Summers, with winters that very rarely hit 32F (0 Celsius). No snow at all to deal.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:38 AM

Thx on reply OzBuick, perfect conditions on your continent. Am reading more and more about U.S. and Canadian versions of cars there. Cuba is another place you would never think have the antiques.

Is paint on Buick the original color? Know there were a few color options back then, green a favorite color and have a green car myself stored away for winter (not Buick). That shade is a keeper either way.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:43 AM

Australia has all climates from tropical (north) to enormous desert in the middle, rain forest, etc etc. South Australia (the state where I live) is the driest state on the driest continent on the planet. Here we get 4 nice clear seasons. Old cars keep in pretty good condition just like California. I could never live up in northern Australia (Darwin) where it's tropical. It's either hot & dry, or hot & wet (the only 2 seasons).

I'm pretty sure my car is the original color of Ludington Green. The body has been repainted (back in 1990) I think after a pretty serious accident I'm told, but you would never know. I'm told a 'master craftsman' repaired the car. The doors shut perfectly with just a click and there is no sign that it was in an accident at all. I'm extremely happy with the car and consider myself very fortunate to have it. Cheers.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:27 AM

How interesting, didn't know that about Australia. Just automatically think of the Great Barrier Reef and Great White Sharks.

http://www.harwoodperformance.bizlan...olor_Chart.jpg Wow, never realized either such an array of colors were available way back. That style hub caps we called Moonies back in the 60's (Moon Racing Equipment). Perfect for the '41 Buick, maybe OEM I can't say. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=moon+racing+hubcaps&qpvt=moon+racing+hub+ caps&FORM=IGRE

I bet too your car was repaired to better than new specs. Have read about instances where a car was restored better than new and it actually lost or deducted points at shows because of it

For sure: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=photos+41+buick&qpvt=photos+41+buick&FORM =IGRE Also noted the legendary fender vents on some of the older classics.

Last edited by Rich B.; 12-16-2018 at 05:05 AM.