New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Mentors Buick Repair Procedures 1994 Buick 3.1 V6 engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 10:37 AM
Default Mentors Buick Repair Procedures 1994 Buick 3.1 V6 engine

If you are viewing this, I appreciate your effort, Would you mind sharing a comment because your input is both welcoming to a new member and appreciated as an active learner. Thanks

I am seeking a mentor to assist or direct me to procedures in performing common repair and maintenance on 1994 3.1L V6 Buick sedans. In my case, a Buick Century.

I just replaced the spark plugs in a methodical manner as shared below and plan to change the ignition coils and oxygen sensors (over 100k Miles) and I desperately want to check all of my grounds and assure proper electrical contact with the sensors, and learn how to check performance of sensors and vacuum checks.

My Buick has 160K miles and the engine is in good condition with nice power on the highway. I purchased it in 2005 with 50K miles where I had replaced the computer & reprogrammed & egr valve. The computer had a faulty ground. After that it ran smooth and passed emissions until after 4 yrs with failure each years. I learned that all the mechanic did was to clear the symptoms or results of the poor ignition conditions. I am now take ownership of the repairs as I am in a position to take care in fixing the cause rather than relying on my mechanic in cleaning the carbon build up and replacing clogged components such as the catalytic converter etc. (I lacked confidence at the time and need knowledge now). One of my biggest barriers is the lack of access to a Tech 1 or scanner that will reveal how the engine is performing and lack of detail in documentation.

This is a condition, the carbon build up and emission failures, has been observed for over the past 6 yrs and I do not believe I have a mechanic with the patience to work with a 1994 without the Tech 1 and the Buick's analog systems.

It suffers in performance on regular city driving. Although performance driving are not immediately evident, I believe it is due to issues such as grounding, or sensors, or fuel, or coil with symptoms at idle of occasional missing, subtly almost cutting out but regaining rpm (very subtle), battery meter at 1st-2nd mark fluctuating between center 12 V and perhaps 16V, Rmps & voltmeter fluctuate with turn signals, At start from stop position engine sounds (guttural) and not a smooth until reaching between 30-40 mph. Dry sunny days are better than humid days but condition sill remains after longer periods of driving. When driven on highway and more frequent stops the temps increase almost double from 25% range (8 PM) to 50% range (12PM), and after rest, condition of guttural sound is more prominent. I believe the conditions within the combustion chamber is the cause of the change but this is effected by an inefficient combustion due to electrical systems (sensors, grounds, computer) & vacuum & fuel.

I have

* mechanical experience & ability, * tools, * garage, and * time to perform my own work.

I lack

* video sources, * documentation, * schematics, * parts sources, *unique equipment sources

My experience:

Replacing spark plugs & wires by: removing wires, cleaning wells with borescopoe & tube fed brake cleaner, removing plugs, chasing threads, replacing plugs with torque wrench, apply dielectric grease to inner lining of plug wire ends, routing wires using plastic tie fasteners as looms.

Using Kano products as lubricants and cleaning of engine and fuel system and piston.

Replacing breaks, egr valve, pvc tubes, sensors, starter, locks, door handles, inner door latches, ceiling liners.

Last edited by JAR-94BuickCentury; 05-01-2018 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Add a first line