New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Converting 91 Riviera to Supercharged Series2 3800

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 01:58 PM
Default Converting 91 Riviera to Supercharged Series2 3800

Greetings ... I have recently purchased a Series2 Supercharged 3800 motor, ( from a 2000 Buick Regal ), which I plan to install in my 91 Riviera, replacing the original non-supercharged 3800. I live in Longview Washington. I am hoping for a referral to a machine shop in this region, ( anywhere in the northwest ), which has a good reputation for rebuilding Series2 supercharged motors. I intend to have the motor/supercharger completely rebuilt so I'm also interested in any component modifications that will result in better performance, keeping in mind that the car will be a daily driver.
I am also looking for a referral in locating the correct ECU for this motor. And other information vital to this engine swap.
Thank you for reading this post, I appreciate your reply

Old 03-22-2018, 04:39 PM

Lost it, may try again tomorrow.

Those are putting out maybe 260NHP after all's said and done? The cost of a rebuild I'd say would hardly justify the power increase or torque gain not even to figure in time and effort. Somewheres along the line a TB was issued on those motors for catching on fire from oil seepage.

Our LaCrosse develops somewheres upwards of 300NHP (V6 also) and that's natural aspiration but direct injection. Power is adequate but not neck snapping. Simply because a motor is supercharged doesn't make it top of the apex, look at these 4 cylinder turbocharged motors around now? All torqued out while others barely warmed up. You purchase horsepower, feel torque.

Getting close to a 3 decade old car I'd put an upgraded chip in the CPU (a tune) and call it a day. As for a daily driver, may want to plan on a few days off from work with the change to supercharger as that. Yup, been there done that with the turbocharger syndrome. Starters there was blowing head gaskets lol. Ended up switching to copper based less thicker and torquing head bolts way beyond specs. Was a 50's hot rodder trick to boost compression, like this: https://www.summitracing.com/search/...aterial/copper

Oops, those were rated at the most 240HP, oh well: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Riviera

Last edited by Rich B.; 03-25-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:46 PM
Default 91 Riviera engine swap.

RichB. Thank you for your comments. Yes, the car is nearly 3 decades old. However, it's a true find. It was parked in a garage from 1993 until i bought it last december. Its well worth my small investment, and it desprerately needs more ponies. Yes, the Series 2 L67 has 240bhp, but a few add ons could bump it up to a nice Driver.
Again, any referral to a reputable shop in the Washington state area will be appreciated.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:38 PM
Default 91 Riviera engine swap.

Originally Posted by DanKrull
RichB. Thank you for your comments. Yes, the car is nearly 3 decades old. However, it's a true find. It was parked in a garage from 1993 until i bought it last december. Its well worth my small investment, and it desprerately needs more ponies. Yes, the Series 2 L67 has 240bhp, but a few add ons could bump it up to a nice Driver.
Again, any referral to a reputable shop in the Washington state area will be appreciated.
Also, would love to get my hands on technical bulliton you mentioned. Can you point me towards that ?

Old 03-26-2018, 01:42 PM

Roger on that Dan, the car sounds really nice and your idea would be the best route to achieve those results. Could be a really fun project anyways as long as you don't have to depend on the car until your ready.

Remember those back in the '90s and yes they were impressive in the day for sure. How things evolved so much I'd of never guessed. But wait, didn't see the TSB on that but don't think I have right year or models, should be here somewheres: http://www.tsbdata.com/tsb/1990-buic...vin-c-sfi.html Lists through the '90's, just located this (no idea where I saw earlier). This is of interest also: http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/tech...00-v6-engines/.

****** The TSB for Series II engines catching fire is in this ref: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine (had mixed up)******

Last edited by Rich B.; 03-26-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:52 AM

Well too my '87 Corvette now was rated only 245HP (before chip) and that was a 350CID. More zippy with chip of coarse but being an 8 cylinder and a 6 having same horsepower (not sure on torque curves), that's not bad for the supercharged 3.8L and not great numbers at all for the C4.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:40 PM
Default 91 Rivera engine swap

RichB. Thank you for providing link to TSB's . I too owned a C-4, mine was an 89. Yes, I imagine Chevrolet may yet be embrassed about that era and how the vette was powered.
The Corvette lived through it, and is a world class runner today.
The L67 has quite a following in some circles as a V8-eater, (check out YouTube).
Not trying to raise any eyebrows here, but Im planning to run a manual F40 5 speed trans, and install ralley type performance suspension. I can do all of this for under $10k. That amount would not have even replaced the interior of a 71 Challenger I was considering. Plus, Im pretty sure I'll have the only 91 Rivi this summer's cruise night events.
Thanks again RichB.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:46 PM
Default 91 Rivera engine swap

RichB. Thank you for providing link to TSB's . I too owned a C-4, mine was an 89. Yes, I imagine Chevrolet may yet be embrassed about that era and how the vette was powered.
The Corvette lived through it, and is a world class runner today.
The L67 has quite a following in some circles as a V8-eater, (check out YouTube).
Not trying to raise any eyebrows here, but Im planning to run a manual F40 5 speed trans, and install ralley type performance suspension. I can do all of this for under $10k. That amount would not have even replaced the interior of a 71 Challenger I was considering. Plus, Im pretty sure I'll have the only 91 Rivi this summer's cruise night events.
Thanks again RichB.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:11 PM

Your welcome Dan, didn't do anything. Am in learning mode on Buicks pretty much. Your C4 sounds interesting. I'd say the Buick Riviera is in its own catagory like a Cadillac but not of coarse. No doubt whatsoever your car will keep pace with almost anything out there on the street, used to call them sleepers. Still, to pop the hood would be an eye opener regardless what ratings are, thinking not a lot of room left.

The ones that want to just bolt an SC on a regular motor i'm rethinking is where the trouble starts. After reading on the 3.8SC factory motors, those seem to be long lived also.

Last edited by Rich B.; 03-27-2018 at 05:22 PM.