Lucerne Buick's full size luxury vehicle

Fuel pump relay/Fuse box problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 04:00 PM
Default Fuel pump relay/Fuse box problems

Have a 2010 Buick Lucerne CXL 3.9 litre. had a crank/no start problem that I googled and a lot of people posted about the rear seat clip rubbing on fuse box cover, causing it to push on fuel pump relay on other side of cover causing it to burn out. I checked mine and sure as hell, it was fried, Bought a new relay and installed and car started and ran for a week or so, and now same thing. Bought another new relay, but still nothing. Watched the 26 minute video on youtube about this same problem, and it seems the burning out may have caused some problems in fuse block, and that should be replaced also. Was hoping for the cheaper fix, but seems not to be. I also ground down the clips on seat bracket so problem wont re-occur. Will this fuse block replacement eliminate this problem from re-occuring again?? Thanks for your help

Andy

Old 01-02-2018, 03:53 AM

Yes, the fuse block could have burned, overheated buss bars/strips internally or visible from underside. Those heat up too much and become corroded, brittle and fry the block Bakelite. Also check wiring for burnt/brittle insulation and overheated loose terminal connectors....

Problem isn't unique to cars only, often a trouble in home, industrial and commercial application. Yup, have made those repairs hundreds of times- some worse than others (was licensed master electrician @24 YO, now 72 lmao).

Last edited by Rich B.; 01-02-2018 at 04:00 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:37 AM

Car died again after changing relay and would not start again with new relay so ordered a new fuse block which should be here tomorrow. Found a guy on e-bay selling brand new oem fuse blocks for this car for $149. He has sold over 1700 of them. and tell me again how there wasnt a recall on this?? Will post results after repair.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:47 PM

Roger that on fuse block. Make sure diagram is drawn with color code of each wire coming and going.

Old 01-05-2018, 04:57 PM

Got the block in the mail and compared to existing and everything matches up exactly. Did the replacement in my garage in the 0 degree weather. everything seemed to go well, and when I started the car it fired up and ran fine. the only problem I noticed is occasionally the brake light would come on and go off. As the car was warming up and I was out side the car putting tools away I could see the rear 3 brake lights come on for a bit then go off. I was hoping it was cuz the car was cold. I went for a ride and watched the back lights and they would do that when driving also. I tried pulling up on brake pedal with my foot when it did it to see if maybe it was the sensor on the brake pedalout of whack or something, but stayed on when doing that. Other then that the car works fine. Did I maybe break a wire or something because it was so cold out when I changed it? Gonna bring to my mechanic for a power steering leak and will have him look at I guess. AGoing to keep an I on for now.

Andy

Old 01-05-2018, 05:39 PM

Burrr, out the entire day too shoveling from storm. The brake pedal switch may be sticking (shot of WD40?). No idea type of switch Buick would use, never anything simple, possibly completely sealed.

If fuse block was damaged would have a distinct plastic or Bakelite smell, even if sealed. Once you smell it you never forget, like MEK Methyl Ethyl Keytone. I'd check brake fluid level also, shouldn't be connection between that and brake lights that I can see but have learned to never say never also (being a Buick).

Last edited by Rich B.; 01-05-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:48 PM

Car running great, and no more brake light problems, i think it was just so cold out at the time. Thanks all for the help.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:59 AM

You're welcome (appears only one that answered here?). I'm not that helpful, just think of things I would check or maybe have happened to myself. Our first Buick ('16 LaCrosse) so really know nothing about them.

Remember one bad experience when I had my '69 road runner (around '73). Had to put new back shocks on and I used a torch to heat up the mounting bolts. Was under car and kept smelling gas. Well I had no idea the gas tank was open vented underneath right there where I was working. No closed systems back then. I got away with it but erie feeling afterwards...... The good 'ole days, not that good sometimes lol.

Old 08-01-2023, 11:33 AM

hi Andy you don't have a link to the eBay seller do you?