Lucerne Buick's full size luxury vehicle

Maintenance Time and More!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 11:43 PM
Default Maintenance Time and More!

Hello everybody and happy new year! Im jadams6340 and im new to this forum! 100,000 miles has since passed. im at 104,600 to be exact and besides an upcoming
oil oil
change and a new altenator, what else should i do to the car? I plan to change the coolant and use a prestone flush, all 4 engine/trans
mounts mounts
are crap including that one on top! Why in the heck would you not put solid rubber instead of a
mount mount
with frickin holes and a bolt in the middle so it can crack? Ugh deploy the implied facepalm. Plugs and wires will be replaced AC DELCO mind you! A transmission fluid change will also be underway with
filter filter
, water pump and timing belt.. Also ive got a few questions.

1. What am i missing in the 100,000 mile tune up?

2. Should i get rid of dexcool and use prestone oat?

*3. Should i change the rear differential grease

4. How do i get to the back plugs?

5. Im using iridium plugs but a friend asked about platinum plugs and multi electrode plugs. Any difference in performance not just in buicks?

*6. Where in the sweet zombie jesus is the got dang fuel filter?

7. I was considering replacing the MAP, MAF, and oxygen sensors. Should i do so?

8. Im changing
brake brake
pads and rotors. Im going ceramic on all four, i had them on my 2000 lexus ls400 which functioned well but im not sure how they handle on my lucerne.

9. Ive heard about carbon steel
brake brake
rotors. What other materials are there? Are they good. .

*and final question*

10. Slotted/drilled
brake brake
rotors. Are they good aside from the less braking material from the drilling/slotting etc.

Futhermore as details im doing this all myself.

This tune up is being done on my 2007
Buick Lucerne CXL V6 Buick Lucerne CXL V6
with the 3.8 liter / Buick 3800 V6 engine.

Im trying to get different opinions. On a side not does anyone know where i can get a solid transmission mount for my Lucerne?This
hydraulic hydraulic
mess of a mount is clunking to high heaven. Has anyone installed such a mount and whats the side affects. What about solid engine mounts too? Is the lucerne a H Body?

*Omissions
*3 I was told there was no rear differential apparently. Any opinions on this is welcome!
*6 I was also told theres no fuel filter either! Why would gm do that?

Should i check ball joints and suspension? I take very good car of my cars! Only top tier fuel and synthetic Mobil 1!

Also i dont see hardly any CXL V8's around! I see the occasional CXS. I hope this doesnt mean there all in the junkyards! Do they have the same head gasket issues? I thought about getting one but my folks had a 99 seville that blew up literally! My brother has an 06 CXS but its a bit firm for me! I prefer the CXL with ths softer air shocks. Thank you in advance!

Old 01-13-2018, 04:24 AM

Great mini novel, lol. I wouldn't change things simply because it can be done. New serpentine belt may be in order. Cracks in those are normal from double flexing, not necessiliary defective. I'd check sensors for any defects and connections, if working (no codes) why replace? Regular plugs (top end) and quality wires not a bad idea, check all auto xfmr connections/visual inspect. Definitely new distributor cap and rotor (some of the Buicks back to the 90's still have I'd imagine) if their there even.

Careful, l also have bought new parts and they're cheaper/worse than what was there to begin with. Also to change fluids just for the sake of changing, no. A variety of test kits out there to actually test those things including oil or also recommended change intervals if choose not to take advantage of former, your money......

Now my opinions here only, may get lucky and get some different answers (working on my own novel). Change back plugs? Probably port in the inner fender well with rubber cover, wouldn't be surprised.

Oh too ball joints and struts or shocks? Wouldn't change if within manuf. specs. Usually one return to normal bounce with shocks is it. If they continue to bounce 2 or 3 times after pushing up and down on car- no good. Other ways to check of coarse with car on lift or wheel jacked up.

Last edited by Rich B.; 01-13-2018 at 04:42 AM.