Buick  Forum - Buick Enthusiasts Forums

Buick Forum - Buick Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.buickforum.com/forum/)
-   LeSabre (https://www.buickforum.com/forum/lesabre-24/)
-   -   Major Hesitation/Misfire and LED lights (https://www.buickforum.com/forum/lesabre-24/major-hesitatin-misfire-led-lights-1393/)

Desperate 03-19-2008 10:23 AM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

<DIV class=postcontent>Hi,

I have an 03 LeSabre, 87K miles with 2 problems. I am really hoping someone had a LeSabre with these problems to tell me exactly what resolved it as 3 mechanics and Buick can't.

1. Car is significantly hesitating, jerking intermittently (generally on inclines, but other times as well). Initially no codes were showing up, so spark plugs were replaced (did nothing) and transmission fluid drained, etc(did help somewhat). Then a code for catallytic converter showed on 1 mechanics system, but he wasn't convinced it was the actual cc. Took it to Buick who said it definitly was cc (there was also rattling in muffler; they thought a piec of the cc was in muffler). Took it back to mechanic to replace the cc and did not resolve the problem - exactly the same as before new cc. He's been checking all the sensors, connections, replaced a few other parts, but nothing seems to resolve it. I've put almost $1500 into this and am not closer to a solution. HELP PLEASE!

2. The LED lights went out on 1 side of my steering wheel (radio source/vol control), which was no big deal. Then a few weeks later LED lights went out 1 by 1 on the a/c heater panel. If I'm just losing those lights, I'm okay with it, but is there something more significant about to happen?

Thanks very much for any help! If you respond, would you please indicate if you are suggesting only or was in the same situation with a resolution. </DIV>
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-42";
urchinTracker();
</>

samueljackson 03-19-2008 05:36 PM

iirc 03 was the last year for the plastic UIM. and those are notorious for eating gaskets. has that route been explored? what does the oil and coolant look like?

Desperate 03-19-2008 06:24 PM

Thanks - I'll ask the mechanic if he went the gasket route. The oil was changed about 1K miles ago (guy neversaid anything about it being unusual).

I'm pretty sure the coolant needs to be flushed (the mechanic brought that up before (unless I'm mixing it up with something else, but I don't think so), but we figured it wasn't urgent and could wait until we resolved this problem). It's not running hot.

I'll get back to you about the gaskets. Anything else you can think of is appreciated!

samueljackson 03-19-2008 07:17 PM

if you are in park, does it still miss-fire? or just when it is in drive?

MrBSS 03-20-2008 10:26 AM

Misfire can be a lot of things, but before we get too exotic, have you done the basics? Spark plug wires, in particular, don't seem to last very long nowadays. Probably should have been changed when spark plugs were done. Was it? He should also have checked coils at that time.

I know you probably are trying to save some money and/or be loyal to your mechanic, but if he's just a parts changer, he could be wasting your money rather than saving it. You need to go to someone who has the proper diagnostic equipment to solve the problem, and who is willing to use it instead of guessing (which is all we can do from afar). I don't understand how the dealer decided it was just the cat; that should be an easy "pass/fail', but the cat can't clean up everything if the misfire is severe. Also, the misfire itself could be damaging the cat. Somebody needs to think a little further.

It is fairly common for the lights you mention to burn out at this age. Not sure about yours, but most are not LEDs. Often they are small soldered-in bulbs and are not considered replaceable. You can probably find the bulbs at a NAPA or other pro-type auto store, if you want to try.There are people on eBay, and elsewhere, who will do this if you don't.

</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-42";
urchinTracker();
</>Edited by: MrBSS

Desperate 03-21-2008 10:40 PM

</>
Thanks, everyone. Okay, yes, spark plugs were just replaced, coils checked. He did check the UIM/gaskets. My mechanic has diagnostic equipment equivelent to buick, or at least that's what he says. I tend to believe him as his also pointed to the converter, but he wasn't convinced it was the CC - had same thought that the misfire is damaging the cat. I took it to buick for second opinion and they said cat flat out and never mentioned anything about other parts damaging the cat. So my mechanics inclination was correct afterall.

About the coolant - do you really think that would help if I asked him to change that now rather than later?

I only noticed the misfire during driving. I don't recall it doing so during park, but I could ask the mechanic to doublecheck. What would it mean if it was doing so in park?

Thanks again!

Dee
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-42";
urchinTracker();
</>

samueljackson 03-22-2008 09:07 AM

when you said it was mainly a problem at incliones, that indicates that its a problem when there is a load on the engine or the trans.

so if it does it in park, that narrows the trans out of the equation.

Desperate 03-31-2008 03:55 PM

Okay, here's the scoop now.

This is what was replaced so far: spark plugs and wires (after market) and fuel filter. Trans serviced (it was replaced at 37K and was serviced at 87K; fair amt of metal found).

Replaced cat conv (no longer service engine light). Mechanic thought was breakdown in ignitiion system, but could not see individual cylinder breaking down more with scanner. But intermently deiffernt cyclinders were breaking down and fel hard trans shift. Took it to Trans place who thought it was ignitiaion breakdown, not trans.

Mechanic replaced (GM parts) ignition module, 4 coils, crankshaft position sensor, camshaft sensor, new EGR valve. Visual look at spot on timing gear for trigger in camshaft sensor. removed Upper intak plenum, checking for cracks and replacing gasket. Has a slight external coolant leak (nothing done for that).

He gave up but recommended me taking it to a nearby Chevy place which is thought to be good. Figured since it was GM, I would give it a shot. My mechanic told them to check out: someone may have put in an aftermarket ignition wire set, bad ground somewhere to main ECM, internal problme in the valve body solenoids in transmission.

So now I have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to see what Chevy says after $170 for inspection. Any thoughts??

Thanks for any suggestions!

KAD1 04-01-2008 01:09 PM

I hear ya. My car is at the Buick dealers right now and getting checked for hesitation and loss of power on acceloration too. I've had a lot of the same things you have had checked and done. Now i I am waiting to hear the verdict.

samueljackson 04-01-2008 04:05 PM

my suggestion would be to never go to that mechanic again. in fact, he is not even a mechanic. he is a mockery to the word. he is nothing more than a glorified parts swapper. all the parts you listed that have been replaced can be properly tested. they should NOT have been changed with out testing.

and what im most confused on is 4 coils? why a fourth? let alone all 3? coils do fail. and almost always one at a time. all 3 at once is an extreme improbability. the coils on my 92 buick with 180k miles are original.

did you see the "fair amount of metal" serviced from the trans? or was this from the word of your parts swapper? and what exactly did he "service"