LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

Where exactly is fuel pump relay 1999 lesabre

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 08:34 AM
Default Where exactly is fuel pump relay 1999 lesabre

Motor shot on 1999 lesabre and wife has half tank of gas,trying to find "EXACTLY" where fuel pump relay is,have looked online for an hour but so many different answers...there are some relays behind glove box and some on upper firewall passenger engine compartment....want to bypass relay and hopefully pump out at least 5 gallons

Old 01-03-2019, 07:08 AM

Would imagine relay is under hood w/engine fuse block there. Pump in tank of coarse, pump should prime or run without pressure if siphoning (most have return line to tank on older cars). Should just be able to turn ignition key (to run- not start) as pump is supposed to run prior to startup for priming engine.

Watch out for fire, many have burned up their car, garage doing as such. If car being junked, buy one of those hand siphons, maybe $6? Put siphon intake in fill tube or cut fuel line and install below filler neck. Ground yourself as static electricity prevalent in winter.

Last edited by Rich B.; 01-03-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:26 AM
Default thanks

Thanks Rich....did get gas out just by cycling the key off and on,took about 20 minutes but got around 7 gallons,better me than junk yard

Old 01-03-2019, 01:46 PM

Your welcome WMG, I would not want to leave them any gas either. Try to do same thing when trading cars but make sure tank is full leaving dealership.

One time was cleaning my Plymouth road runner engine with this electric motor cleaner. Could immerse a running motor in the stuff and no problem, was called safety solvent. Well started up the engine and a spark from the alternator brushes- entire motor was on fire lol. Garden hose handy, put out fire and no damage at all. Was quick enough to put out while only the solvent was burning off, so much for safety solvent though if it could of happened it did to me one time or other.

Last edited by Rich B.; 01-03-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:11 PM

Fire is no laughing matter where it is...seen a lot of damage and death in my 57 years from fire...so im pretty cautious

Old 01-03-2019, 05:27 PM

I'm probably paranoid these days myself. Fire extinguishers all over the place and have a Purple K one out in garage even. To top it off I was licensed as fire protection inspector in ME and inspected/maintained all these AFFF hangar systems, halon, wet/dry pipe and CO2 systems at Naval Air Station, Brunswick, ME. Set one off once and took my time exiting building. Was like walking through Alka-Seltzer, can kill pretty quick as Carbon Dioxide removes all oxygen.

Maine has many wood stove fires too in winter. Those are always bad and you wonder if could of been prevented. Was legal in state to have wood and oil furnace piped using same chimney but staggered connections. Draft had to be adequate of coarse but no creosote as chimney was always warmed from oil burner. Not legal anymore since Ice Storm '98, they screwed that one up. To this day mine still works great, I have extra tall chimney anyways. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple-K

Last edited by Rich B.; 01-03-2019 at 05:31 PM.