LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

Rear Brakes Replacing

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 02:56 PM

I have a 2004 Buick Le Sabre and am replacing the rear disk brakes.

I compressed the piston partially then hit some resistance. Do I have to do anything to the emergency brake to allow the piston to compress all the way back to the fullest so that I can put the new pads in and have room to slide it down over the rotor?

Don't want to put any more pressure on it until I find out how it works.

Went to Autozone and they did not have any repair manuels for this .

Thanks[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Old 09-16-2006, 11:57 PM

Did you try a c-clamp to press the piston? If not that is what you need.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:44 PM

Proubbly not a level pressing down of the piston.. 4" C-Clamps work great.

Good luck

Old 09-18-2006, 02:58 AM

The rear disk brakes on a 04 LeSabre require a special tool (loaned from Checker Auto Parts) to screw the piston assembly in and at the same time screw/reset the parking brake.

You are thinking of the front disk drakes they are simply compressed with a good size "C" clamp, But the back ones cannot be compressed in this manner.

Thanks Anyway I have them changed and working fine.

Mr. Chips[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Old 09-19-2006, 12:45 AM

OH COOL. good info.. dint know that..

You helped. me. .

BASS

Old 02-19-2007, 02:22 PM

You need to srew them in use a large screw driver or anything that will fit the slots to turn it. Not to hard to turn.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:44 PM

Have you ever heard of the pistons not releasing once you press on the brakes. My rearrotors get really hot even when I don't use the brakes. Should I replace my rear pistons? I have a 2000 Buick LeSabre Limited with about 90K on it.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:05 AM

Sometimes the pistons do rust up and freeze, however to check this for sure, press the brakes, then release. Jack up the rear of the car and spin the tire. If it moves freely, the pistons are moving back.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by 111jag

Have you ever heard of the pistons not releasing once you press on the brakes. My rearrotors get really hot even when I don't use the brakes. Should I replace my rear pistons? I have a 2000 Buick LeSabre Limited with about 90K on it.

i HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN:

tHE OLD BRAKE HOSES SWELL UP AND THE INSIDE GETS SO SMALL IT WONT LET THE FLUID BACK THROUGH WHEN THE PEDAL IS RELEASED. IT DOES SLOWLY RELEASE a little over time.

I understand that Castor Break Fluid will not do this at least it hasn't done it again on my old Benz where I experienced this proble, and discovered the cause and soluton.[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Sorry not flaming, just too lazy to correct having the caps on.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:18 PM

rear disk brake often have problem not releasing since they have two sytems in them one work as all brake sytem using oil pressure when you press the brake pedal the pressure pushe the piston out witch press the pads against the rotor and have the car to stop,one problem that can hapen in this case is the galiper not funtionig properly eiter the piston do not come back inside the galiper or the galiper do not slide propêrly and the pressure is always on,the second system is the parkingf bke witch work mechanquely,their is a screw inside the piston and by aplying parking bake it turn this crew and put presure on the pads and squeeze the rotor,sometimes it do not unscrew properly and some pressure stays on allthe time,in that case galiper has to bee changed.so that wy most car with disk brake at the back when changing rear pads you have to screw the piston in .their s a tool for this purpose that consist of a small metal block that fit on a 3/8 ratchet and has pins that fit on the piston end to screw it in .