LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

93’ lesabre wont start after getting wet

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 12:14 AM

<DIV class=container-forummessage>Hi!

I have been looking for a place to get some help for a 'do it yourselfer' who doesnt want to pour a lot of cash into a 13 year old car. We had a really rainy day last week and one road that I go through to get home from work had a substantial amount of water over it, after going through it (i was probably going 20 or so) I went about 200 feet and the sucker stalled out. After that it would not start, i sat there for 10 minutes or so and then it would start and run fora bout 3 seconds and then stall out. It did that several times. Since the last time it did that it has not started since and will only crank.

A buddy of mine and I looked at it today, we found that the plugs are not sparking. Took one out and cranked it and nothing. The wires and all are fine. Suspected the coil packs, took them off and took them to auto zone and they tested out fine. The guy at autozone said we might want to check the camshaft sensor which is one the side of the engine down by one of the pulley wheels, said if that gets water in it it will not work and will not spark.

To "test" that would be 36 bucks for a new one and have never replaced that before so am not even sure I can do it myself so I would like to have some semblance of it being a good idea before I do that. Obviously it wont start so if i need to take it someplace I will have to have it towed. (I was 3 miles away from home so a friend pulled it back to my house with his truck)

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks! </DIV>

Old 09-18-2006, 01:08 PM

You can remove the connector off the camshaft sensor and the vehicle will either start or not.. If it dont its proubbly not the camshaft sensor.
If it does.. put it back on and see if it dont.

Bass..

Old 10-01-2006, 05:09 AM

Also might be your crankshaft sensor behind your crankshaft pully, (special puller to get that pully off) or a hat trick like I did with a steering wheel puller and another puller harmonic balancer and a very strong impact gun not ratchet. also check your fuel presser at the schrader valve in the fuel line. But mostlyI thought this sensortimes the spark and the camshaft sensor times the fuel injectors based on rotations of eachcamshaft for valve position/fuel intake then firing. and camshaft for piston positionto recievespark

Old 10-02-2006, 04:26 PM

My book says CAMshaft sensor controls fuel injector timing pulses sending it to the PCM and the PCM decides from different sensors how much time each pulse should be, Basically mixture. Since the book says it will start and run with the Camshaft sensor disconnected I figure it may not be it unless its shorted or something.

My CRANKshaft sensor problems began with a stall after a bit of a run without stops, like comming off the freeway. I would wait 30seconds or so and it would start..

It graduated to a violent jerk occasionally and or sudden engine off stop at 55mph. Violent because the Torque converter was in lock to the engine at those speeds.
For a month I ripped through all the ignition stuff troubleshooting replacing and swapping IMs driving a day or two each time and bugging staticlly all the wires, then just decided, heck with it, swapped out the CPS and wholah</span>!!...

Old 10-10-2006, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

i would test the ign control module.