LaCrosse Buick's new mid-sized luxury sedan

Platinum Protection Plan

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 03:10 PM
Default Platinum Protection Plan

Hello folks, I'm new to the this forum. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the best place to get a GM Platinum or Silver Protection Plan for a Lacrosse. I know that with Ford's extended warranties, the dealer cost for those plans is about 50% of retail cost. Is that true for the GM service plans also? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:33 AM

The plans are similiar and both expensive. Wholly depends on luck of coarse, how often car will be driven and mileage and if you neglect or abuse your investment (will lose on a car certainly).

Here's an example: Have a '13 Boss Mustang, car's depreciating still as I'm typing here lol. It's 6 years old and with less than 3K miles. Not an iota of trouble and I have full warranties- now expiring. A whole lot of money for nothing! Any problems/expenses beyond foundation warranty (other than blown engine) I could of easy paid for out of pocket with money in the bank......

Now for the Buick, we have a '16 LaCrosse with only 6K on OD. Decided on basics only and wait till you have On Star billing you. We have just basic there also, never use and have AAA. If car is too much bother will just trade in for new model, easy fix. Again no problems whatsoever, 3 years old now.

And cable or satellite TV lmao. Have you seen what's digital free air now a days?? Won't have it in my house, waste of money. Still using my Analog TV antenna on tripod up on roof. It's all about principle, don't have a cell phone either and hate Facebook. Knew of their ulterior motive many years ago, not that I care.

Yes, retired or retarded (same difference). Could easily afford all of those things, but we do have a $4K due each year for nursing home insurance for future (will not be burden) and siphon off $10K for the kids each Christmas. Why wait giving them any money when they're old and don't need it either (tax write off)?

Guess it's all in the eyes of beholder, do as you please and I will also I 'spose.

Last edited by Rich B.; 04-10-2018 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Personal philosophy, airing dirty laundry? Not at all.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rich B.
The plans are similiar and both expensive. Wholly depends on luck of coarse, how often car will be driven and mileage and if you neglect or abuse your investment (will lose on a car certainly).

Here's an example: Have a '13 Boss Mustang, car's depreciating still as I'm typing here lol. It's 6 years old and with less than 3K miles. Not an iota of trouble and I have full warranties- now expiring. A whole lot of money for nothing! Any problems/expenses beyond foundation warranty (other than blown engine) I could of easy paid for out of pocket with money in the bank......

Now for the Buick, we have a '16 LaCrosse with only 6K on OD. Decided on basics only and wait till you have On Star billing you. We have just basic there also, never use and have AAA. If car is too much bother will just trade in for new model, easy fix. Again no problems whatsoever, 3 years old now.

And cable or satellite TV lmao. Have you seen what's digital free air now a days?? Won't have it in my house, waste of money. Still using my Analog TV antenna on tripod up on roof. It's all about principle, don't have a cell phone either and hate Facebook. Knew of their ulterior motive many years ago, not that I care.

Yes, retired or retarded (same difference). Could easily afford all of those things, but we do have a $4K due each year for nursing home insurance for future (will not be burden) and siphon off $10K for the kids each Christmas. Why wait giving them any money when they're old and don't need it either (tax write off)?

Guess it's all in the eyes of beholder, do as you please and I will also I 'spose.
Yes, these are all worthwhile considerations that will factor in to my decision on an extended service plan. With past extended service plans for my Fords, I have done a pretty good job matching miles driven with the max mileage in the service plans, and I think in every case they've paid for themselves. That said, I haven't yet decided to purchase a plan but was just looking for a contact in case I decide to get one. As I indicated, the Ford Extended Service Plans (ESP) retail prices are approximately double the dealer cost, so I assume similar pricing structure for GM. I've noticed that on other forums there are folks who work at various dealerships who will sell discounted plans to forum members. I was hoping to find the same thing on this forum.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:55 AM

Roger that on the plans BB. Best of luck anyways with your new LaCrosse. We love ours, very first Buick. I never have any luck on forums with anybody answering anything as you may of noted. Haven't seen anything on discount plans here, Blue Oval Forum or Boss 302 Forum either. Some of the vendors have discount codes I've seen though.

Last edited by Rich B.; 04-11-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:03 AM

Too, a bit different strategy is used with the vendor aftermarket protection plans. You receive this important information, open at once mail (don't forget TV ads). It's made to appear being from the dealership or auto manuf. itself...... It's not. An off the wall company attempting to sell you something or other, what's new?

I suppose they're OK, can't say if overpriced but it's the idea of misrepresentation. Wife fell for one about a decade ago or so, didn't say a word and I was p___ed! Told her never again and to get a refund, on what's left. Worked out fine (moved on) and now she's very ruthless and scrutinizes all mail and phone calls especially, trained well lol. Oh, we just got a letter yesterday is what made me think on this. For warranty extended coverage on our '16 LaCrosse from GMC (not). Still getting notices for cars we don't own anymore- Now that's coverage

Last edited by Rich B.; 04-17-2018 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Expect any and everything to take your money?
Old 04-17-2018, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rich B.
Too, a bit different strategy is used with the vendor aftermarket protection plans. You receive this important information, open at once mail (don't forget TV ads). It's made to appear being from the dealership or auto manuf. itself...... It's not. An off the wall company attempting to sell you something or other, what's new?

I suppose they're OK, can't say if overpriced but it's the idea of misrepresentation. Wife fell for one about a decade ago or so, didn't say a word and I was p___ed! Told her never again and to get a refund, on what's left. Worked out fine (moved on) and now she's very ruthless and scrutinizes all mail and phone calls especially, trained well lol. Oh, we just got a letter yesterday is what made me think on this. For warranty extended coverage on our '16 LaCrosse from GMC (not). Still getting notices for cars we don't own anymore- Now that's coverage
Yes, I too have received a number of those mailings for 3rd party warranties. I got burned by one before so now I would only consider manufacturer extended warranties.

I'm still asking for someone on this forum to help me find a contact for getting a discounted GM extended warranty. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:43 AM

Agree for sure BB. With all the members here should be maybe 5 or 6 different answers but no. I don't understand it either?