General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

2000 LeSabre CPS, MAF, ICM help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Exclamation 2000 LeSabre CPS, MAF, ICM help?

2000 Buick LeSabre, 90k miles:

I am having a problem with the cam position sensor. The car threw the CPS code and so I took it to get replaced. It gave the code again, after replacement, so the shop replaced it again. It went a day or two and the CPS code showed up again, and a few days after that, the mass airflow sensor code also decided it wanted to come on.

I replaced the MAF sensor, but I am not sure what to think about the cam position sensor. Any ideas on where to look next for this problem? Am I missing something? I have a computer that can read OBDII and there are no other codes showing up.

The car runs rough, like it is misfiring and is difficult to start at times. I have searched and found that maybe an ignition control module may help, but I hate to keep throwing good money and not seeing any improvements.

Also, when I start the car, for the first 30 seconds I hear a loud wooshing sound, like the sound of strong suction. I have replaced the air filter and haven't seen any obvious air leaks.

Any help on this would be a life saver.

Last edited by iwork4911; 10-15-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:31 PM

It is a wise move to be pretty sure of a decision to replace a part. Too many people feel if they replace this or that ,it'll do the trick unfortunately with cars these days , not so!
Since you have no codes , many times these types of problems are short lived .
Many times a load of bad fuel will give the results you are getting. Have you tried a bottle of dri-gas? Also the wooshing sound you hear could very well be a vacuum leak.
Please keep in mind , the code you receive doesn't always mean the sensor is defective. I just points you to the system that is giving the problem. And that could include open, shorted or poor connections.
Instead of paying someone to replace the part you feel is bad have them chase the problem down and find the root cause. That way if the problem reoccurrs you shouldn't have to pay again to replace the same part that may not be the problem .