Electra/Park Avenue Buick's full size premium car manufactured between 1959 and 1990

Service Engine Soon Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 03:01 PM

Ur right Sam! We looked all over forthe 'egr'but never did see one like on my brothers 3800 G/Prix, where he show me his was! So now I know its a 92 instead, Thanks again! I run 87 octane and fuel injector cleaner once or twice a yr in tank with no problem![img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]

Old 10-12-2006, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

what kind do u use?

i use, love ,and recomend the lucas.
every product ive used by lucas has worked very well.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by samueljackson
what kind do u use? STP or Valvoline

i use, love ,and recomend the lucas.
every product ive used by lucas has worked very well.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:02 PM

SamuelJackson... Boy was I wrong...getting better info now..
dug into the Service Manual (finally got one)..Got them confused a bit I guess just reading online stuff.. .(not much of an excuse is it?)

Camshaft is the fuel timing pulse.. "If lost it has a 1 in 6 chance of being right but will run..." (QUOTE)...Looses SFI.. sequential fuel injection.

HOWEVER... the Crankshaft sensor can throw a Camshaft code.. Been there done it. .. and causes halts and jerks and no starts..

But Thanks..
Bass

Old 10-13-2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by bassasasin
dug into the Service Manual (finally got one)..Got them confused a bit I guess just reading online stuff.. .(not much of an excuse is it?)

Camshaft is the fuel timing pulse.. "If lost it has a 1 in 6 chance of being right but will run..." (QUOTE)...Looses SFI.. sequential fuel injection.

HOWEVER... the Crankshaft sensor can throw a Camshaft code.. Been there done it. .. and causes halts and jerks and no starts..

Mine will shut off now and them when idling at a stop! Then re-starts with no problem! If it was a 'crankshaft sensor' it would not start, what several mechanics told me! So 'camshaft sensor' makes alot of sense!

But Thanks..
Bass

Old 10-20-2006, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator

But Thanks..
Bass

props to you bass. i hold much respect for a man that recognize when hes wrong. eapecially on an internet forum. hats off to ya.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:40 PM

I bought the sensor today at AutoZone. I took the bolt out of the old one and started tugging on it very little! It did not come out, so I decided to wait until Friday and try it again. Should it be hard to remove it? Should I remove the tire and shroud to do it? Some where they said to check the magnet to see if it is good!

Old 10-26-2006, 07:49 PM

Its juststuck..

There isa "O"ring seal on it proubbly a bit sticky..

I went in from the top but its a bit of a reach..

SCAREY?? .. maybe a bit of a twist will help..

Good Luck

Old 10-31-2006, 11:37 AM

OK, I got it out and replace it with the new one. Still have a 'SES' light on! I haven't seen/felt it do what it use to yet thou! I had to replace a 'bearing' in one of my struts bearing plate. This took care of some noise I was having when backing out of a parking space when turning.

I read in a Chilton manual on a 1992 P/A that it had a 'code # list' and a 42 & 43 code would be the ICM. I also read about the 'crank sensor' and its states a dual Hall switch which needs to have a gap of 0.025. Is this between the interrupter ring and harmonic balancer or how is this measure the correct way when installing the new 'crank Hall switch'?

Its juststuck..

There isa "O"ring seal on it proubbly a bit sticky..

I went in from the top but its a bit of a reach..

SCAREY?? .. maybe a bit of a twist will help..

Good Luck

Old 11-01-2006, 12:45 AM

As for the crank sensor gap..

Its alot tougher replace job than the Camsensor.. but... a rubber band has been recommended put on the balancer wheel to set a good clearance.

Getting that wheel balancer off is the big task.

The codes worry me though.. usually a 41 for the CAMshaft/Crankshaft code.

You could just have a bad coil.. The CRAnkshaft sensor fails violently pretty much.. like jerks and complete stalls..

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon Light