Electra/Park Avenue Buick's full size premium car manufactured between 1959 and 1990

Rear Pinion Gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Default Rear Pinion Gear

Hello

I'm writing from France. I'm looking for the model of rear differential in a buick electra park avenue 1982. It's for my friend. Rear Pinion is broken. Is it a GM ?

thank you for your help

Old 06-15-2011, 04:48 PM

First, you will need to replace the ring gear and pinion as a set.
It would be more helpful if you were able to provide the # of gear teeth on the pinion and on the ring gear. Also the diameter of the ring gear.
There should be some numbers on the ring and pinion. Will he be able to get the other necessary parts like the crush sleeve, seal, and bearings if the bearings are no good?
Unless it was a positraction rear they were pretty much standard for all 82 electra park aves.
To answer your question, yes it is a GM car.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:14 AM

Ok. thank you

I' m going to look for the # of gear. it will be the first time i rebuild this type of differential. Is it hard to remove the pinion bolt ? is it easily to disassemble the rear axle ?

Old 06-17-2011, 04:55 AM

I have never heard of a pinion gear breaking. Just what happened?
To remove the pinion requires the removal of the differential housing cover and let the lubricant drain out. The rear wheels should be removed so you can pull the axles out of the side gears. To do this there is a bolt with an 8mm head that goes into the ring gear housing. It holds a small shaft in between the axles. Once the shaft is removed you push the axles in and remove the "C" clips from the end of the axle and slide the axle out enough to clear the side gears of the differential. After that you can remove the 4 bolts that hold the ring gear assembly to the carrier housing.Be careful to keep the pieces in order for assembly. Once the ring gear housing is out you can get to the pinion gear.
Instead of trying to type all the directions , if you don't have a manual to do this let me know.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:47 AM

Thank you for your precious help
i think there was not enough amount of oil in the differential case. Only, half of glass when i remove the differential housing cover !!

Do you know what other rear axle (from an other car) is ok to mount in place of mine?

Old 06-18-2011, 06:22 PM

There were Oldsmobiles and Pontiac models that used similar or the same rears.
The Olds models were the 98 , Royale and the Pontiac models were the Bonneville.
As long as the ratio was the same they should fit. I will check further and let you know for sure.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:12 AM

Thank you. I'm waiting for you.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:04 PM

I have tried a few salvage yards and they all say so far, nothing that goes that far back.
I will try a few more places including some GM dealers and see what they say.
If you can get on the internet and search around you just might come up with a place that has just what you want.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:28 AM

Ok, thank you

After a big search, i will see someone who sell a rear axle. an Olds 98. I will tell you if it will be ok.

See you

Francois

Old 06-21-2011, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the update. It is, as I am sure you know, important that the ring and pinion on the replacement differential must have the same number of teeth. It's not that it won't work, but depending which way the ratio goes will affect your power on one hand or your performance on the other. If the difference is small you may not notice any real difference.

Quick Reply: Rear Pinion Gear