Electra/Park Avenue Buick's full size premium car manufactured between 1959 and 1990

94 Buick Park Avenue Ultra. Rattling Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Lightbulb 94 Buick Park Avenue Ultra. Rattling Crank Pulley

Just noticed Gramma's Park Avenue Ultra making a nasty noise. It sounds like its coming straight from the crank pulley. I noticed chunks missing from the rubber part. I dont know if they are rattling around inside or what but I figured if I could pull off the pulley and see inside, that might help.

See the attached picture of the outside of the crank pulley. Anyone else have this problem? I have a 3 jaw puller but i dont think the claws are going to fit well enought to pull it off. What do you guys use to pull off the pulley and is this as simple as I thought it would be?

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:51 PM

Pic of broken crank puley

Attached Thumbnails 94 Buick Park Avenue Ultra. Rattling Crank Pulley-broken-crank-pulley.jpg  
Old 09-04-2012, 03:01 PM

What you will probably wind up doing is;
Place the R/F corner of the car on a jack stand, remove the R/F wheel, remove the plastic black louvered piece of the inner fender and that will give you access to the crank pulley.
The hardest part will be to loosen the bolt that holds the pulley to the crankshaft.
Sometimes you can pull the pulley right off other times you will need a puller. The three jaw puller might work. Once the pulley is off installing the replacement is the reverse of removal.
Since the pulley contains the shutter piece that provides the crank sensor signal, you MUST get the correct pulley or the vehicle will never run right. No junkyard stuff here dealer OEM part only !
I would suggest you try to get the part before you start the job.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:36 PM

Yeah I got the bolt off.. Does the entire pulley come off in one piece? (Where the grooves are for each belt - is that part of the entire pulley? Maybe a dumb question..

So the puller I have is definately too small then. I was trying to get the claws in each of the holes and they kept slipping out. So with that bolt out, its possible to just pry it off huh?

Old 09-05-2012, 03:01 AM

The belt slots are part of the pulley that was seated in rubber. It all comes off. Sometimes you can carefully pry the center section off without too much trouble.
Otherwise you may need to rent a puller special for the job.