Century Buick's mid sized affordable sedan

What year headlights.../ OnStar Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator
Default What year headlights.../ OnStar Mirror

Gonna keep my questions spread out over time so I don't cover an entire page like a spam bot.

What year/trim headlights did they start adding the courtesy bulbs when the turn sigs on? When I got the car I assumed they were both burned out and when it came time to replace them I had courtesy deletes. Need new headlights eventually and was wondering if these were a direct swap or would I need a new harness for them to work? According to "fleabay" they are not a direct swap.

My auto dim mirror has issues with the maplights(switches are busted) and I was wondering if the OnStar mirrors are a direct swap? The price for the OnStar are same or even cheaper than just a autodim. I might rig the buttons for something later but I doubt it.

Part 2 of the Mirror question was did anyone rig the map lights to come on with the rear map lights and kick panel lights? With the sunroof I don't have a dome light dead center of the roof liner and I kinda remember other GM cars that year and newer the maps are dome lights as well.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Merc6
What year/trim headlights did they start adding the courtesy bulbs when the turn sigs on?
As far as I knew, all years/trims had them. I never heard of the delete. Are you talking about the ones on the corner of the headlights?

My auto dim mirror has issues with the maplights(switches are busted) and I was wondering if the OnStar mirrors are a direct swap? The price for the OnStar are same or even cheaper than just a autodim. I might rig the buttons for something later but I doubt it.
You'll probably have to splice the wires. I would assume the OnStar mirrors have extra wires going into it for the OnStar function.

Part 2 of the Mirror question was did anyone rig the map lights to come on with the rear map lights and kick panel lights? With the sunroof I don't have a dome light dead center of the roof liner and I kinda remember other GM cars that year and newer the maps are dome lights as well.
The map lights should come on with the rear and kick panel lights. I think I have the same interior lighting setup as you..the two lights over the rear windows, map lights in the mirror, and the kick panel lights.. and mine all come on when the door opens, or they are turned on with the switch.

When I first got my car, the map lights weren't working. It turned out to be a bad connection at the clip on the back of the mirror. I tied the wires to the mirror with some snare wire, and they've been working since..other than every now and then, they flicker.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by xlt2k
As far as I knew, all years/trims had them. I never heard of the delete. Are you talking about the ones on the corner of the headlights?
The white lights between orange side marker and low beam. Similar to Town Car and Grand Marquis. Have to take a pic in the daytime there isn't even a socket there. It's just a molded flat area where it "Should" be.

You'll probably have to splice the wires. I would assume the OnStar mirrors have extra wires going into it for the OnStar function.
Worse case I gut the new mirror if I don't find another auto dim. It appears the mirror was already taken apart and rubber cemented back together.

The map lights should come on with the rear and kick panel lights. I think I have the same interior lighting setup as you..the two lights over the rear windows, map lights in the mirror, and the kick panel lights.. and mine all come on when the door opens, or they are turned on with the switch.
Left map lights on and they didn't turn off with rest of interior lights.

When I first got my car, the map lights weren't working. It turned out to be a bad connection at the clip on the back of the mirror. I tied the wires to the mirror with some snare wire, and they've been working since..other than every now and then, they flicker.
Maybe that is the issue. the pasenger map light flickers when I hit a nice bump or extreme roadway impurity.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

The white lights between orange side marker and low beam. Similar to Town Car and Grand Marquis. Have to take a pic in the daytime there isn't even a socket there. It's just a molded flat area where it "Should" be.
Thats strange. Did you notice if the wire/plug for the bulb is there?

Left map lights on and they didn't turn off with rest of interior lights.
If you turn them on, they'll stay on. When they're turned off, they should come on with the door open and switch, but go out with everything else.

Maybe that is the issue. the pasenger map light flickers when I hit a nice bump or extreme roadway impurity.
Its worth a look. With the door open, or the switch on, wiggle the wires around from the plug at the mirror, up to the headliner. Mine seems to be a broken wire between those two places.

You said that it appeared to have been disassembled..maybe something was put back together wrong inside the mirror?

Old 10-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Thats strange. Did you notice if the wire/plug for the bulb is there?
Nothing. Just the side marker whe you pull that last rubber cover off. I was shocked cause it's not even reflective in that part of the housing.

If you turn them on, they'll stay on. When they're turned off, they should come on with the door open and switch, but go out with everything else.
Nada.

Its worth a look. With the door open, or the switch on, wiggle the wires around from the plug at the mirror, up to the headliner. Mine seems to be a broken wire between those two places.

You said that it appeared to have been disassembled..maybe something was put back together wrong inside the mirror?
Will have to try that. Just afraid to touch that headliner in the event it decides not to stay in one piece. I was afraid that rear deck was gonna fold in 2 on me when I replaced those rear deck speakers. I wish my Subaru had that much sound deadening in it.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Added a pic for that light. Will pop it off and take a pic tomorrow on lunch break or when I get the sway off.

Attached Thumbnails What year headlights.../ OnStar Mirror-light.jpg  
Old 10-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Im not really sure whats going on with your cornering lights..like I said, I thought they were standard on all years. Maybe the early years it was an option? I honestly don't like them, and was planning on disabling it.

You shouldn't have to remove your headliner to do what I suggested. I felt the same way about mine. It felt very fragile, and I was afraid it was going to break. You might have to remove it if you go ahead and get a new mirror, as I think the other end of the connection is tucked away behind it.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

My deleted light.

Attached Thumbnails What year headlights.../ OnStar Mirror-img_7024.jpg  
Old 10-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe I don't have the wires for that.. Harness pic below with a few open pins.

Attached Thumbnails What year headlights.../ OnStar Mirror-img_7061.jpg  

Last edited by Merc6; 10-19-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Hmm. That's really weird. I can't remember what mine is like right now, but I believe there is a black and white in those slots. I can check later to see. If it is the ones I'm thinking about, then those are the ones I was having trouble with when my lights wouldn't work..

Quick Reply: What year headlights.../ OnStar Mirror