Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here...

What's Plastic and Not?

Old 11-15-2017, 04:59 AM
Default What's Plastic and Not?

Do like the chrome accent look on our LaCrosse. I don't know what's plastic plated or metal plated. Have a very strong suspicion grill is plastic chrome or nickel plated however, not metal at all. Same with door handles. I mean when the interior wood trim is plastic, lmao. Guess real wood is available for option though.

Hub caps? Those things with the shiny chrome look will not last through even 1 winter in ME due to the sand blasting effect and road salt. Today's OEM actual wheels are pretty good until new wheel weights are put on w/tires. Always seem to have that corrosion spot showing from where that old weight had been. Stick on weights a big plus now a days.

More to follow if I can think of something......

Well too, some of the aftermarket acc. are perfect. You don't want a lot of stick on chrome accents but maybe something like the door pillar sections. Most of the aftermarket stuff you won't ever recover $$ with a trade in. I'm one to do a little bit, not too much. Really liked the real wood dash I put in my road runner. This was a veneer self stick like a balsa. Looked OEM and the car had a wood (plastic) steering wheel to start with.

Last edited by Rich B.; 11-25-2017 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:03 PM

So an upholstery guy just told me that interior leather is only on items that touch the skin, all else is vinyl like leather.
So when a lady friend rides with a bare bottom then the seat lower is leather and since bare rear end also extends up the back some that the seat back is also leather.

since I only wear pants and never shorts and my pants are pulled up in designed position, neither the seat base nor the back are touched by my bare skin, therefore my seats must be all vinyl. I paid extra for real leather, what goes on here? Are there different interiors for male and female? How do I Tell? Ask the lady friend how the seat feels?

Old 04-03-2018, 04:25 PM

That's funny BW. Think that may be true about the leather, leather furniture is like that. Don't get acetone or any strong solvent ever on them, will remove finish to bare leather.

Different grains can be embossed in leather and the finish is applied by running through a paint curtain conveyor or sprayed. Not trying to be a know it all but worked at Allied Leather at Waterboro, ME in early 70's as the plant electrician (had master's license). Everything explosion proof, completely polluted the local water plume with MEK (methyl ethyl keytone). Was used as a paint mixing and cleanup medium. Those were the days (OMG).

Birdseye showing original water tower, lower left. Had railroad spur also but long gone. Some new industry back where Naptha degreaser building was. This was just big empty field last I viewed with lone tower at front of industry.

Attached Thumbnails What's Plastic and Not?-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Rich B.; 04-04-2018 at 07:53 AM.