Tires What skins are you rollin' around on...? Discuss wrapping your rims in here...

What about this?

Old 01-10-2017, 05:05 AM
Default What about this?

Our LaCrosse after about only 6 months of owning picked up a roofing nail in the tread but where it starts with the sidewall. Must of happened turning a corner whereas the tire will flex and shift slightly.

Last thing I wanted to do was buy another new tire so I tried a leather plug. With the car not even moving air pressure would actually push it out, well that's not going to work. Everything I've ever seen or read says it can't be done...... New tire.

So I bought a rubber plug kit with mushroom head plugs from Amazon. Worked beautiful, had to even use Vaseline with install tool just to push through hole. Still holding and internal tire pressure is pushing it outward (not out) constantly. Do keep watch on it and no leaks or anything else 6 months later.

So I did spend about $40 for tire repair, I was determined not to buy another tire and actually don't believe Goodyear Eagles last anymore that 18K miles anyways. If it ever pops out, no worse than a small hole flat while driving.

Can't say if a tire is ice picked on the actual sidewall if kit would work but maybe for a temporary repair, no need to remove tire from rim either. Have used the leather strip type plugs in actual tire tread with good results but the mushroom plug is way better even. Can hardly wait for my next flat now lol......

Search this Thread