LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

Might be buying a 2000 Buick LeSabre

Old 06-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Default Might be buying a 2000 Buick LeSabre

Love Olds and Buicks.

Someone totaled my '97 Olds and I need a new car, and I have my eye on a 2000 Lesabre with 64,000 miles. The cruise control light comes on but when let go it goes off - if I hold the button down and press the set button the light on the dash itself comes on but also goes off when the buttons are released.

Any ideas/cost?

If the dealer fixes it, then I buy; if not I want to know what kind of repair this is and the cost, as without cruise I will lose my license for sure with that 3800 under the hood.

Anything else I should be concerned about with the 2000 LeSabre. Reading online it seems the motors for the electric windows often fail. What kind of cost is this? Is it hard to change the motor in my own garage?

Anything else?

Ken

Old 06-30-2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by LeSabre2000
Love Olds and Buicks.

Reading online it seems the motors for the electric windows often fail. What kind of cost is this? Is it hard to change the motor in my own garage?

Anything else?

Ken
Hi Ken,

Indeed, the electric window motors is a commonplace failure on LeSabres. A new OEM window motor is about $250 from the stealership but runs anywhere from $100-135 at discounted OEM GM parts e-tailers. (I bought my window parts from http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...exID=4H1002601) Keep in mind that there are a few other little components involved in the electric window system but those parts should be considerably cheaper than the motor.

The process for removing and replacing the motor isn't too difficult and you could easily perform the job yourself at home, or in your garage more appropriately It's been a few years since I've performed this job but here it the procedure that I recall following:

1. Tape the window up in the closed position.

2. Snap the panel off ... I used a putty knife as a pry tool and worked it around the edges. And no, there are not any screws to take out of the panel

3. Peel back the black inner black liner. Be careful of the black gooey mess. There is no need to completely remove the liner. Use duct tape to keep the liner out of the way.

4. There are 3 nuts, 10MM as I remember, that hold the regulator in place along with 2 more that tighten the clamp to the glass. First snap out the the covers that hide the glass clamp bolts. Loosen them but do not remove.

5. Locate the 3 nuts that hold the regulator in place ... have to look through the holes ... one near the top and two at the bottom. Remove the nuts. You may have to lower the window a bit ... I really don't remember.

6. You should now be able to remove the regulator from the door. To install, reverse the procedure.

There may be a few subtle intricacies about the job that I am forgetting but you should be able to sufficiently complete the swap by following this guide

Old 07-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

The dealer has fixed the cruise control. It was a faulty switch.

I have been reading about the UIM and Lower gaskets issue, and I want my mechanic to check that out before I buy, which hopefully he can do. Leak or no leak if I buy I will be doing the Dorman UIM replacement as well as the L gasket and elbow replacements, making sure to change oil and plugs when finished.

With respect to looking at the oil stick, milkyness or whiteness indicates coolant in the oil, and likely bearing issues, right? And white smoke coming from the engine would be coolant too, correct? (Have not seen any smoke nor does it seem to have idling problems.)

I guess I am being paranoid - I want a horse that I can get over 250K with, and right now it has 64K.

Ken