LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

'95 LeSabre starter removal/installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Default '95 LeSabre starter removal/installation

Greetings. Re: '95 Buick LeSabre.
I'm replacing my starter. I have a shop manual and the book gives instructions for removal and installation. Among the instructions, there is a part that tells you to remove the flywheel inspection cover which is easy enough but there is another plastic part that prevents removal. Of course there are two bolts and the one toward the front of the car is a short one and the inside one is much longer. That "other" plastic cover prevents you from putting a socket on the short bolt because part of the cover covers the bolt head and the long bolt head is covered completely by the "other plastic cover. I can't see anywhere how that is held on and there is nothing more in the manual about another cover.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:21 PM

Been there done that.

The rear half of the flywheel cover came off easily. The front half had come off and been broken in the process.

There are two bolts at the bottom that hold it in place. The front half cannot be removed without unlocking the two pieces. They have a locking tab.

You will need a 1/4" wrench set with a 6" extension to get to the bolt at the front of the front half. You cannot see it. You have to do it by feel.

The top of the rear half has to be wiggled out otherwise you will break it off. It can be done.

You can get them at a salvage yard. Buick does not sell them any longer. Tell the salvage yard the pieces must not be torn or broken.

Do not use too much force when tightening the bolts. You can mash or break the plastic and you can strip the threads.

I can send you pictures by private Email, or you can show me how to upload pictures that will fit this forum and still meet the guidelines for uploading.

Best wishes,

Neal Lewis

Attached Thumbnails '95 LeSabre starter removal/installation-p3091043b.jpg   '95 LeSabre starter removal/installation-p3091047a.jpg   '95 LeSabre starter removal/installation-p3091039a.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2014, 09:30 PM

More photos

Attached Thumbnails '95 LeSabre starter removal/installation-p3111056a.jpg   '95 LeSabre starter removal/installation-p3091053a.jpg