General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

52 Buick Custom vehicle height.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:13 PM
Default 52 Buick Custom vehicle height.

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a bit of information. I'm trying to help a fellow that owns a 52 Buick Custom (Canadian Car) that has issues at hi-way speed. At 60 or 70 MPH the car starts to feel pretty light and unstable. I've checked the front suspension, steering and tire condition and have found a couple of minor issues, but I'm concerned about the car's riding height and haven't found any specs anywhere.

I believe the car may be too high. It has new springs in the rear, but the springs in front look like they've been there a long time. I was told the rear springs were replaced just before he bought it early this year.

Anyway, if anyone knows what the riding height of these cars should be, and where to measure that height, I'd appreciate the information.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:46 PM

After doing some more research and digging into an old Motor service manual I've found a height spec. for this car. From the road to the top of the roof it's supposed to be 63 inches. This car sits about 65.5 inches, so it is a bit too high.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

How are the struts on the car? This can also cause issues if they are blown.