Electra/Park Avenue Buick's full size premium car manufactured between 1959 and 1990

Car wont crank....

Old 02-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Default Car wont crank....

I recently acquired a 99 Buick Park Avenue and am sort of at a loss as to the root of my problem. Yesterday, I purchased and installed a new battery due to the failure of the previous one, and drove it a couple hours afterwards ultimately parking it for the night. This morning when I came out to start the car, it refused to crank, but still read that it had 11.72 volts according to the voltage gauge in the cars instrument panel. I feel that the car should have had plenty of juice to crank over. Could I be looking at a starter issue? Do these starters have a solenoid that is part of the starter or separate? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

When you try to start it, can you hear the starter *click*?

Old 02-12-2012, 07:48 PM

From an electrical point of view, 11.7 volts is too low.
There are 2 things to consider.
If you can get a voltage reading right at the battery terminals,that would be possibly more accurate. Most of the time there is a voltage drop in the wires and connections. If the voltage at the battery is that low , when you go to crank the engine , the electronics require at least 12 volts to function and that will drop due to the load of the starter.
In the process of replacing the battery , if the vehicle has an anti-theft system you may need to reset it. If you have another PassKey for the vehicle try it.
You could also have a battery drain taking place and it may be the cause of the other battery going down.
What does the security light do when you turn the key on?
There could also be a charging system problem.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:15 AM

The starter did indeed give a single click when I tried to start the car yesterday morning. Since then, I have driven another couple hours and had it parked for a longer period of time than the night that it drained down. This morning I went out and put the voltmeter on the battery before putting the key in the ignition and read 12.75 volts. So today, all seems well. a lttle baffling to me, but maybe I unknowingly left something on the other night... I'm goin take the chance and drive it today, and see if it remains to function properly.

Thanks very much for your input, folks!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Banned

So what really happened there? But really sometimes this things happen. You encountered a problem today that you don't even know how to solve it and yet the next day it will function properly without doing anything. Actually, I have experienced the same problem when my Buick won't crank. I've checked and changed almost everything I thought that will be causing the problem from plugs to battery to belts. I also have a ready automotive car starter in case I need to change it. Only to know that what's causing it is the solenoid that's dirty and just needed to be brushed.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:59 AM

I really can't remember... It never happened again. I had just replaced the battery and battery cables and drove it 2 hours home after it had sat for several months. Like you said, just random problem that's never shown its face again.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:06 PM

Many times a carbon brush in the starter motor will stick and not make good contact thereby causing the starter not to operate. A quick rap with a block of wood or a small hammer will dislodge the stuck brush and that is temporarily the end of the problem.
A lot depends on how many times the engine is started a day,the mileage on the starter and the connections supplying the starter. So there are many possibilities for a starting problem and the only way to correct it is to do a thorough check of everything.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Many times a carbon brush in the starter motor will stick and not make good contact thereby causing the starter not to operate. A quick rap with a block of wood or a small hammer will dislodge the stuck brush and that is temporarily the end of the problem.
A lot depends on how many times the engine is started a day,the mileage on the starter and the connections supplying the starter. So there are many possibilities for a starting problem and the only way to correct it is to do a thorough check of everything.
I agree. Anyway, just a few share, when you first purchase a new vehicle, you lose most of the value in just a couple of years. When you buy a used vehicle, the value stays higher for longer. I found a site that showed me the very best used car dealerships in Spokane. I found this site here: Spokane Ford F-150 that helped me find a used car for an excellent price. You may also take a look at BJ auto center for more info.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:48 AM

My car wont crank or start what can be the problem?
I went to get my haircut and i turned my car fine and off fine. Then when i got to my car and tried to leave my car wouldnt start. I checked the battery and my fuses but nothing. My heater,windows,radio,everything works but my car wont crank or start. What could be the problem? Someone please help!!

Old 11-30-2012, 07:49 AM

Boy these could be's can be somewhat numerous.
It could be the ignition switch start position , the trans range switch(formally the neutral safety switch) The solenoid on the starter, the starter itself or even the anti-theft system or the "ignition key" if you have an anti-theft system. Last ,but not least it could be a poor wire connection in the path from the ign switch to the starter solenoid.
If I left anything out hopefully someone will fill in the missing "could be's"