Electra/Park Avenue Buick's full size premium car manufactured between 1959 and 1990

Supercharger Noise

Old 03-01-2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Toadster25

All the buick superchargers have their own oil and it is seprate from the engine. There are no lines going up to it with engine oil. They never have used engine oil to lube the 3.8 supercharger. I've worked at a Buick dealer for 10 years and I've never changed the oil in a superchargerl. I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it but I don't think that you would need to. I have seen a few with the loose rattling noise but I've never had one apart to know what is in there. We just sell cusomers a new one or maybe rebuilt. I always kind of wanted to take one apart to see what was wrong inside of the ones that were replaced but I never got a chance to. That would be cool if all they needed was a little plastic piece. When your working on customers cars you can't really risk spending money on parts inside a supercharger and then a month later having somthing else go wrong with it and then they need a whole new charger. They don't like that and expect us to fix it all for free.
There's nothing to a Supercharger. A case, 2 Rotors, 2 End Bearings, A coupler, A Nose Cone Case, A Pulley and a Bearing behind the pulley. Everything is pretty much rock solid in it exept for the front bearing and coupler. Thats all that ever needs replaced and all that comes in a rebuild kit (Which GM rips people off and doesn't sell) Is a snap ring, front bearing, and coupler. But it's expensive around $300 through a ford garage. It's much cheaper to find the parts yourself. I get my couplers from ebay (around $35 Shipped) and get the bearings from either a bearing catalog from work. or from Erie Bearing.

I do think you have to change your SC Oil and it is very important so that you never have to replace any of these things and it is cheaper than the parts to fix it. I belive my GM Service Manual says to replace it every 35,000 miles.

Old 03-02-2006, 02:11 PM

Good info. Thank you.

The Boost/Vacuum gauge is an obvious answer; duh, why didn't I think of that! I guess I can find a good source for manifold vacuum, but where did you connect it?

I've never seen the recommendation to replace the SC oil that frequently. Although I've read the Owners' and Shop Manuals for both of my Ultras pretty thoroughly, I haven't looked for that specifically. I would appreciate it if you could confirm that.

Otherwise, I would think that a closed system using synthetic oil would be good for at least 100,000 miles, particularly since it is engaged intermitantly. But, for those of us who know that the life of these cars is well over twice that interval, it might be wise to err on the short side!

PS: Do any of you have any experience or opinion on the "Snow Boost Cooler", whichuses an injection of water and methanol to function as a chemical intercooler? It's on p36 of my Summit catalog andSnow's internet site.Edited by: MrBSS

Old 03-03-2006, 02:12 AM

No I'm gonna look into that though. I thought Magna Charger was the only ones to make an intercooler for an eaton.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:40 PM
Default supercharger

hey ..please forgive the ignorance of a novice ..i just got the1998 buick pk.av.ultra,supercharged.167k..mi..was my pops last new car ..it has what i perceive to be a couple of issues,the knock at the supercharger...what is the general price range and diffuculty for a mech idiot like me to do the job?also what is the coolant system quirks ..cuz like isaid i just got the car it has not run hot yet..readout says temp normal,ystrdy i noticed water dripping from what area ,i suspect water pump ..it stopped leaking ..never runs hot,how do i determine cause ?is it a hard fix ? what is y-allz impression of this buick ..i have never owned a buick before this ..im 70 ..thanks for lisinin to my ****..lookin forward to some astute answers thx again imcmzan from la jolla ,ca ..and all corners of the state ..much respect..

Old 12-15-2018, 03:04 AM

I'd say a knocking sound from supercharger means a bad bearing(s) and the rotors are clanging together. Turbo Chargers were notorious for going through ceramic bearings and would burn the oil used to lube them. Water pump I'd think is a bad shaft seal but those also have a weep hole on the few I've changed. Could be either, not sure if an additive is available for those to re-supple the seal? Could also check for any side play of pulley, but if it stopped leaking may be OK. Know there is made an additive to make water more slippery lol. https://barsleaks.com/product/coolin...ith-anti-rust/

Last edited by Rich B.; 12-15-2018 at 03:11 AM.