LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

No power locks, windows, mirrors, interior lights, trunk release, and unknown driver?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Default No power locks, windows, mirrors, interior lights, trunk release, and unknown driver?

My girlfriends 2002 POS LeSabre has been plagued with this issue since she purchased it in 2005. Dealer has refused to service the car under warranty (we won't get into that, they wouldn't even inspect it after it was sold! She had to have about $1,000 worth or brake work done to it after she purchased it and I had to replace the coil packs and ICM so it would run without stalling). Since someone hasn't stolen it yet, it looks like I need to fix it. One day the windows decided not to go up (Yes, the windows have been stuck about 1/4 way down for several years with packaging tape filling the gaps - lovely when you live in northern VT). The power locks stopped working, along with the trunk release and power mirrors. The DIC also started displaying "Unknown Driver" and the radio refuses to shut off.

I replaced every single fuse in the panel in the engine bay and under the seat with the fuses that have LEDs that light when they blow. Not a single fuse was bad. Checked all relays and circuit breakers with my multimeter, everything is fine. I only have a standard OBD-II code reader that will not read the "body codes" and she won't bring the car to any dealership to get the codes read because she's afraid of what else they're going to find wrong with the piece of crap. So yeah, she REFUSES to have it serviced.

I purchased a Hayes repair manual to get the wiring diagrams to trace wires and test circuits and most of the problem items run to the RKE module which might explain the "unknown driver" and refusal of the remote not working (although nothing works manually either). If this was an older car, my first thought would be one of the door plungers to sense if the doors are opened or closed, but this car has none.

I've seen this problem multiple times before, but never seen it fixed. She can't sell the piece of crap, we can't get it stolen, and so far the 3800 hasn't caught fire so it looks like I need to fix it.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:45 PM

If you have an Autozone store near you, I believe they will get the codes for you at no charge. They are building one heck of a business doing this for no charge and many folks use it and purchase whatever parts they need right there with the exception of dealer items. Its worth looking into. It is possible all or most of the problems are related to things the Body Control Module handles. One little thing can cause all the problems the vehicle seems to have. Let us know how you make out.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:01 AM

I'd love to, but the nearest Autozone is about a two hour drive... I guess I should have mentioned I live out in the middle of nowhere, ha!

Old 04-12-2011, 03:14 PM

With the price of gas these days a two hour trip had better be worth it.
Do you have any kind of junk yards within reasonable driving distance that might have the part you might need?

Old 04-13-2011, 07:07 AM

Not a clue what part is needed.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:36 PM

I would need to check further before recommending that you change any part.
As soon as I can verify your symptoms with the body control module I will suggest what I think will help solve some of the vehicle's problems. Is that OK with you ?

Old 04-14-2011, 07:17 AM

Sure?

Old 04-14-2011, 03:38 PM

OK, Thanks

Old 04-16-2011, 02:11 AM

It looks like all of the symptoms you describe are controlled by the body control module.
Am working on whether or not it needs to be set up by a dealership when purchased new. Also trying to find out if a switch can be made with a used one without reprogramming. Will get back with the answer as soon as I get an answer.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:12 AM

so you think the BCM might be bad? It seems more like the car thinks the doors are open and not being shut. How does the car sense if the doors are open/shut since there's no plunger?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No power locks, windows, mirrors, interior lights, trunk release, and unknown driver?