BF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with BF? Ask... Have a suggestion to better BF? Tell us here...

2006 Lacrosse Mystery

Old 03-22-2013, 05:32 PM
Default 2006 Lacrosse Mystery

2006 lacrosse stalls at random above 30 mph when a/c is on. car restarts immediately but stalls again at random. diagnostics shows nothing and every mechanic i have seen is stumped anybody out there with an idea?

Old 03-23-2013, 07:52 AM

Does this happen maybe once a day, once a week approx how much time between occurrences?
You can leave the recorder connected and it will record the data at the time the stall happens after which you now have some place to look for something unusual taking place. No big deal. Buicks have had a lot of problems with ignition switches. If this only happens with the A/C working that might help to isolate it to the A/C system possibly causing the problem. There may be a service bulletin concerning this , do we know if that source was consulted?

Old 03-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Default Lacrosse mystery

Thanks, Hanky but stalling is completely at random when a/c is on. It might happen 5 times on a short trip or not all day. Diagnostics shows nothing and every mech who has seen it is stumped. Summer's coming and we NEED that a/c here in Fl. Any suggestions would be much are much appreciated.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:04 PM

Just out of curiosity have you taken it to any Buick dealerships? They would have all the latest service bulletins from the factory and probably have seen this before.
The only other option is to have someone with a recorder set it up and have you drive it.
When the stall takes place it should provide a direction as to whether the ign or fuel system is being affected. Since it only takes place with the A/C on, it most likely is an electrical problem and you can't look for a problem that isn't there. Sometimes something as simple as corroded battery cables /connections can cause problems like this.
Buick did have a problem with faulty ign switches.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 AM

GM dealer has seen car and is as stumped as everyone else. What do you mean by set up a recorder? Is that some machine that keeps track of engine performance and problems? Wonder why my mech didn't suggest that before. Thanks for your interest and input

Old 03-28-2013, 02:37 AM

There is a function in a quality scan tool called "snapshot". It will record the last few minutes of data stream info when a malfunction takes place. Your dealer may be stumped, but I think probably either lazy or doesn't care !!! Find another dealer or shop or better yet, write to Buick and let them know of your vehicle's problem.
The quick way off the hook is to say sorry no codes, we cant guess what the problem is.
Diagnostic time costs money, did they at least offer to look into it if it would cost one or two hundred dollars to check it out ? Something is happening with the Buick division and I believe if they don't correct it , they will follow in Pontiac's path. They are trying to attract a younger following instead of steady loyal customers. Younger people seem to accept the problems and then sell to get rid of it. Buick customers that I have known take excellent care of their vehicles and expect the dealership service dept to do the same.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:01 AM

Thank you very much. I'm gonna write to Buick and give them a review of the dealer I took it to and see if they can direct me to one who may actually help. You are very kind to spend your time anonymously helping other people. Thanks again and God bless

Old 03-29-2013, 11:43 AM

If you would, please let us know how you make out on this, and have a Happy Easter!

Old 04-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Hanky is right. We live in a "even if it's not broke, junk it and get the newest thing out there" era. It's not just GM that does that at dealerships. I could go on for hours about Mazda and now Subaru but I'm not. My Century is the slowest of all my cars but it has held up the longest. Hanky's idea is the best way to find the issue and possibly give you a way to re create it on demand. The issue of troubleshooting is time consumption especially if you suck at it. Nobody wants to commit that much time trying to help when they can just replace a whole bunch of parts @ labor rates or tell you to get rid of that obsolete headace and buy another one of our new cars. I hope you can get this issue resolved so you can have your a/c and drivability and not one or the other.