LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

No power locks, windows, mirrors, interior lights, trunk release, and unknown driver?

Old 04-16-2011, 09:20 AM

If the door lock assy isn't latched the signal goes thru the BCM to the PCM (powertrain control module) . That module , The PCM, controls all engine and engine related functions.
Try google and you will gain a wealth of info that will answer a lot of questions for you.
Just think you have a 2002 year vehicle with all these features, the 2009, 10 and 2011 are worse yet . They have every control except birth control!
Even a used BCM has to be programmed to your car's VIN. (vehicle ID #)
Once you get this one problem squared away , you probably will be able to enjoy the car much more!

Old 04-17-2011, 08:57 AM

Well none of this is helping me at all

Old 04-20-2011, 04:03 AM
Bub

I know of a site www.pcmforless.com and they specialize in PCM flashing,tuning and unlocking not sure if these vehicles are supported by them but I assume they would be able to hook you up with the proper channels to get it repaired the way you want cheaper than your local STEALership, however I have to agree with that many symptoms you probably have a bad BCM/PCM

Old 01-29-2014, 06:07 PM
Default Solution???????

I am having the same exact problem, seriously every bit of this describes my car :-( did you ever get it fixed????? HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP. I have used a test light to check for power on all switches (they have power going in), when I use the keyless entry the lights flash (no horn no lock no unlock but it will open the truck, and the panic button only makes the lights flash constantly), Unknown driver is displayed, radio and lights stay on even after the key is removed and the doors are open. it takes 10 minutes for the car to time out and everything to shut off :-(

Old 05-25-2018, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by memeanne85
I am having the same exact problem, seriously every bit of this describes my car :-( did you ever get it fixed????? HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP. I have used a test light to check for power on all switches (they have power going in), when I use the keyless entry the lights flash (no horn no lock no unlock but it will open the truck, and the panic button only makes the lights flash constantly), Unknown driver is displayed, radio and lights stay on even after the key is removed and the doors are open. it takes 10 minutes for the car to time out and everything to shut off :-(
I have same too did u figure it out my situation is same but I caused it itsays all same unknown driver and no doors work only open trunk with keyless entry but I accidentally power surged somthing on driver door and it sparked and stoped working but car runs good just recently started just shutting down and I in hook battery and it starts ive does all fuses all looks good did anyone find thw fix

Old 05-25-2018, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chris
My girlfriends 2002 POS LeSabre has been plagued with this issue since she purchased it in 2005. Dealer has refused to service the car under warranty (we won't get into that, they wouldn't even inspect it after it was sold! She had to have about $1,000 worth or brake work done to it after she purchased it and I had to replace the coil packs and ICM so it would run without stalling). Since someone hasn't stolen it yet, it looks like I need to fix it. One day the windows decided not to go up (Yes, the windows have been stuck about 1/4 way down for several years with packaging tape filling the gaps - lovely when you live in northern VT). The power locks stopped working, along with the trunk release and power mirrors. The DIC also started displaying "Unknown Driver" and the radio refuses to shut off.

I replaced every single fuse in the panel in the engine bay and under the seat with the fuses that have LEDs that light when they blow. Not a single fuse was bad. Checked all relays and circuit breakers with my multimeter, everything is fine. I only have a standard OBD-II code reader that will not read the "body codes" and she won't bring the car to any dealership to get the codes read because she's afraid of what else they're going to find wrong with the piece of crap. So yeah, she REFUSES to have it serviced.

I purchased a Hayes repair manual to get the wiring diagrams to trace wires and test circuits and most of the problem items run to the RKE module which might explain the "unknown driver" and refusal of the remote not working (although nothing works manually either). If this was an older car, my first thought would be one of the door plungers to sense if the doors are opened or closed, but this car has none.

I've seen this problem multiple times before, but never seen it fixed. She can't sell the piece of crap, we can't get it stolen, and so far the 3800 hasn't caught fire so it looks like I need to fix it.
Hi ..did I ever figure it out everything I explained just halpen to my 2000 Buick lasbre custom and only difference is I touch a hot wire to one the wires in door windows and it sparked and shut all power to doors now says unknown driver the car drives good ..i cord all fuses everything is good I power surged somthing and blew a fuse or module ..is wat I'm thinking but fuses r fine and relays ..

Old 05-25-2018, 06:36 AM

It seems like the real picture is escaping your vision, guys!

These cars have sophiscated electronics that cannot be tested/checked with just a test lite.
A quality scan tool is required along with the knowledge to use it correctly.
For example, when you choose to close a switch , like raise/lower a window the signal goes from the switch on to a body control module that in turn activates the proper relay(s). These modules can be quite troublesome and require special tools to check out. The vehicle is full of electronic (stuff) and you need to understand how this stuff works before you can "fix" anything. Buicks are great cars and have a lot of good features, but the days of fixing by tinkering are long gone. The right thing to do is to confirm the BCM is defective (Body Control Module) then it's replacement needs to be flashed/programmed to your particular vehicle. Requires Vehicle ID # to do properly.
There is no quick way to get around doing the correct thing anymore !

Old 05-25-2018, 06:45 AM
Default Hi

thank u Hanky .i will ck into that ..do u happen to know around a figure it cost to get it linked to your car

Old 05-26-2018, 03:58 AM

Know of a similiar problem once and come to find out it was due to one of the harness connections not fully seated and snap locked. Nobody could locate until...... By accident.

Aside from being not very likely, I'd spend a Saturday morning checking wiring and connections. Nothing at all to lose. The most complicated trouble is the simplest fix in most cases but most look for the worst scenario. One time on radio control fire alarm systems the entire operation would maintain a 60 cycle AC hum (on speaker) and go nil with the interference. Was intermittent and problem: Not the system but one of the 35K reclosers (high voltage circuit breaker) on a power bump would not reset completely and this arching (sp.?) signal was present on all the associated high voltage transmission lines. Only took a year to find and this was over 100 systems affected. Perfect for antennas to intercept on a operating freq. of 140MHZ (140 million cycles per second) lmao.

Last edited by Rich B.; 05-26-2018 at 04:29 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chris
My girlfriends 2002 POS LeSabre has been plagued with this issue since she purchased it in 2005. Dealer has refused to service the car under warranty (we won't get into that, they wouldn't even inspect it after it was sold! She had to have about $1,000 worth or brake work done to it after she purchased it and I had to replace the coil packs and ICM so it would run without stalling). Since someone hasn't stolen it yet, it looks like I need to fix it. One day the windows decided not to go up (Yes, the windows have been stuck about 1/4 way down for several years with packaging tape filling the gaps - lovely when you live in northern VT). The power locks stopped working, along with the trunk release and power mirrors. The DIC also started displaying "Unknown Driver" and the radio refuses to shut off.

I replaced every single fuse in the panel in the engine bay and under the seat with the fuses that have LEDs that light when they blow. Not a single fuse was bad. Checked all relays and circuit breakers with my multimeter, everything is fine. I only have a standard OBD-II code reader that will not read the "body codes" and she won't bring the car to any dealership to get the codes read because she's afraid of what else they're going to find wrong with the piece of crap. So yeah, she REFUSES to have it serviced.

I purchased a Hayes repair manual to get the wiring diagrams to trace wires and test circuits and most of the problem items run to the RKE module which might explain the "unknown driver" and refusal of the remote not working (although nothing works manually either). If this was an older car, my first thought would be one of the door plungers to sense if the doors are opened or closed, but this car has none.

I've seen this problem multiple times before, but never seen it fixed. She can't sell the piece of crap, we can't get it stolen, and so far the 3800 hasn't caught fire so it looks like I need to fix it.
Ecm is what it sounds like.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No power locks, windows, mirrors, interior lights, trunk release, and unknown driver?