LaCrosse Buick's new mid-sized luxury sedan

How-To: LaCrosse

Old 07-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Default How-To: LaCrosse

Hello again folks,

I have yet another handy dandy write-up to share with you distinguished peeps- this weekend I replaced the key-less entry for my brother-in-law's 2010 LaCrosse The key-less remotes can be programmed in just a few minutes from your car's driver's seat. Programming the remote will allow you to replace the old code on your keyless entry, and you will be able to sync up to four different remotes for your entire family. In the case of my brother-in-law, he lost his old remote so I bought a new one (part #733523 at gmpartseast.com) and simply reprogrammed the new unit. Here's how I accomplished this feat:

1) Locate the programming connector underneath the driver's side dash. You will have to disconnect a plastic paneling piece by hand, and this is located to the right and underneath the steering wheel.

2) Connect the terminals labeled #4 and #8 using your jumper wires and wait for the locks in the car to cycle automatically.

3) Close the car's doors and turn the key in the ignition to the "On" position.

4) Wait for the locks to cycle again and press and hold both the Unlock and Lock buttons on your remote.

5) Hold the buttons until the locks cycle again and release. You can then remove the jumper wire to lock the programming sequence on the remote.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Default How-To Article: Replacing the Engine Fan on a '05 LaCrosse

Hello folks,

It's that time again, (no, not Hammer time) I've changed the engine fan on a customer's '05 LaCrosse 3.8L V-6 sedan this weekend so of course I'm going to share the procedure with this fine forum Here's the walk-through on the replacement job:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the left and right engine mount struts.

3. Remove the air cleaner assembly.

4. Remove the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) harness retainer from the fan shroud.

5. Remove the transmission oil cooler lines from the lower fan shroud clip and reposition the oil cooler lines aside.

6. Remove the fan shroud clip from the condenser tubes.

7. Remove the radiator upper bracket bolts and brackets.

8. Remove the cooling fan shroud bolts.

9. Remove the bolt that connects the fan shroud to the condenser hold down bracket.

10. Disconnect the engine cooling fan motors electrical connectors.

11. Remove the cooling fan electrical harness from the fan shroud clips.

12. Remove the cooling fan shroud.

13. Remove the engine cooling fan blade nut.

14. Remove the engine cooling fan blade.

15. Inspect the cooling fan blades for bent or cracked blades, smoothness of the mating surfaces or burrs and other imperfections.

16. Remove the engine cooling fan motor bolts.

17. Remove the engine cooling fan motor.

--Installation--

1. Install the engine cooling fan motor.

2. Install the cooling fan motor bolts and tighten to 53 inch lbs. (6 Nm).

3. Install the engine cooling fan blade.

4. Install the engine cooling fan blade nut and tighten to 53 inch lbs. (6 Nm).

5. Ensure the lower edge of the fan shroud engages the clip at the bottom of the radiator.

6. Install the fan shroud.

7. Install the cooling fan shroud bolts and tighten to 53 inch lbs. (6 Nm).

8. Install the cooling fan electrical harness to the fan shroud clips.

9. Connect the engine cooling fan motors electrical connectors.

10. Install the fan shroud clip to the condenser tubes.

11. Install the bolt that connects the fan shroud to the condenser hold down bracket and tighten to 53 inch lbs. (6 Nm).

12. Install the radiator upper support brackets and bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).

13. Install the transmission oil cooler lines to the retainer at the bottom of the fan shroud.

14. Install the air cleaner assembly.

15. Install the PCM harness clip on to the fan shroud.

16. Install the engine mount struts.

17. Connect the negative battery cable.

18. Inspect the engine cooling fans for proper operation.

That's the whole enchilada guys. Good luck!

**Reference Materials**
2005 LaCrosse Cooling Fan diagram <--Click on the 'Get Info' button next to the Parts Listing text, then click on the 'Go' button and the diagram will display

Old 10-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Default How-To: Replace the Water Pump on a '05 LaCrosse

Hello guys and gals,

The average lifespan of a water pump ranges from 80,000 to 120,000 miles so if your LaCrosse has logged a mileage figure falling within this stipulated range, it may be a wise idea to replace it. Additionally, it behoves you to replace the timing chain at the same time. Stay tuned for a DIY on these two critical maintenance jobs!

On a related note, an oft overlooked cooling component that may require replacement after 100,000+ miles is the radiator. Don't lose your cool, replace the radiator on your high-mileage LaCrosse utilizing this guide for assistance:

1) Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2) Remove the air cleaner assembly.

3) Drain the cooling system.

4) Remove the right and the left engine mount struts.

5) Remove the inlet hose from the radiator.

6) Remove the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) harness clip from the fan shroud.

7) Remove the transmission oil cooler lines from the retainer clip at the bottom of the cooling fan shroud.

8) Remove the fan shroud clip from the condenser tubes.

9) Remove the bolt that connects the fan shroud to the condenser hold down bracket.

10) Remove the air deflectors from the top of the radiator.

11) Remove the cooling fan shroud bolts.

12) Remove the coolant reservoir hose from the radiator overflow neck.

13) Remove the radiator upper support brackets and bolts that connect to the fan shroud.

14) Disconnect the engine cooling fan motors electrical connectors.

15) Remove the cooling fan motors electrical harness from the fan shroud clips.

16) Remove the cooling fan shroud.

17) Remove the outlet hose from the radiator.

18) Disconnect the transaxle oil cooler pipes from the radiator.

19) Tilt the top of the radiator rearward.

20) Remove the condenser hold down bracket from the radiator.

21) Lift the condenser from the mounting tabs on the radiator and position the condenser aside.

22) Remove the radiator.

-Installation-

1) Install the radiator to the lower mounts.

2) Install the condenser to the mounting tabs on the radiator.

3) Install the condenser hold down bracket to the radiator and condenser.

4) Install the outlet hose to the radiator.

5) Connect the transaxle oil cooler pipes to the radiator.

6) Install the cooling fan shroud.

7) Install the cooling fan motors electrical harness to the fan shroud clips.

8) Connect the engine cooling fan motors electrical connectors.

9) Install the fan shroud clip to the condenser tubes.

10) Install the cooling fan shroud bolts and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).

11) Install the radiator upper support brackets and bolts that connect to the fan shroud.

12) Install the air deflectors to the top of the radiator.

13) Install the bolt that connects the fan shroud to the condenser hold down bracket.

14) Install the PCM harness clip on to the fan shroud.

15) Install the inlet hose to the radiator.

16) Install the air cleaner assembly.

17) Install the coolant reservoir hose to the radiator overflow neck.

18) Install the right and the left engine mount struts.

19) Install the transmission oil cooler lines to the retainer clip at the bottom of the cooling fan shroud.

20) Fill the cooling system.

21) Connect the negative battery cable.

22) Adjust the transaxle fluid level.

*diagram courtesy of gmpartsgiant.com; all rights reserved

Old 06-26-2012, 09:25 AM

Is this a "given"? I mean does the LaCrosse have a high incidence of having these components replaced? I've got 60+K on mine and just flushed the coolant system 10K ago. So far, no problems.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:14 AM
Default Trunk access

Hello.
You seem to be pretty knowledgeable about Buicks, I have one for you. This past weekend, the battery died in my 08 Lacrosse. I needed to get in my trunk, but couldn't because it only has electronic releases. Is there a mechanical release that can be accessed in theses cases??
Originally Posted by BuickBag
Hello again folks,

I have yet another handy dandy write-up to share with you distinguished peeps- this weekend I replaced the key-less entry for my brother-in-law's 2010 LaCrosse The key-less remotes can be programmed in just a few minutes from your car's driver's seat. Programming the remote will allow you to replace the old code on your keyless entry, and you will be able to sync up to four different remotes for your entire family. In the case of my brother-in-law, he lost his old remote so I bought a new one (part #733523 at gmpartseast.com) and simply reprogrammed the new unit. Here's how I accomplished this feat:

1) Locate the programming connector underneath the driver's side dash. You will have to disconnect a plastic paneling piece by hand, and this is located to the right and underneath the steering wheel.

2) Connect the terminals labeled #4 and #8 using your jumper wires and wait for the locks in the car to cycle automatically.

4) Wait for the locks to cycle again and press and hold both the Unlock and Lock buttons on your remote.

5) Hold the buttons until the locks cycle again and release. You can then remove the jumper wire to lock the programming sequence on the remote.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:37 PM

My '13 has an emergency release handle in the trunk. To access it with a dead battery, you need to open the driver's door with the key, fold down the rear seat, and reach in for the emergency release. Not sure about the previous generation.

With the water pump, changing it before it fails is up to you and your tolerance for risk. Most cars with a timing belt recommend replacing the water pump when you do the timing belt, usually at 90k-105k intervals. Unless there is a design flaw (like earlier GM engines with plastic chain guides), the timing chain should last the life of the engine. It is not a maintenance item. Timing belts, on the other hand, are.

My last car, with a timing chain, had the water pump showing signs of failure at 114k. The car before that still had its original water pump when I got rid of it at 154k. Most of the time (maybe 90-95%), the water pump will exhibit some sign before it fails completely - usually noisy bearings or leaking. The rest of the time, it fails with no notice, leaving you in need of a tow. Whether to change it preemptively is up to you and your tolerance for the risk that yours won't show any signs before it fails.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by BuickBag
Hello again folks,

Could you please post a photo of the connector you are jumping ? Is it the OBDII connector ?

We have a 2006 Lacrosse that needs a new remote . I ordered on the internet & will need to program the remote ( or the car ) when it arrives .

Thanks , :-)
Wyr
God bless

Search this Thread