Century Buick's mid sized affordable sedan

1995 Buick Century Custom (6cyl 3.1)

Old 04-10-2014, 06:52 AM
Default 1995 Buick Century Custom (6cyl 3.1)

Hi All,
I have a few questions if anyone could kindly help.

First, the breather tube that goes from the throttle body to the rear rocker arm cover needs new rubber elbows. I was able to find a PCV elbow for the side going to the throttle body, however cannot find the elbow which plugs into the rocker arm cover on the rear of the engine. Does anyone know the exact part name, or even better the number, for this tube or that particular elbow?

Second is in regards to check engine light and oil light. Check engine started coming on at a cold start and would do so continuously until the engine ran a bit and the temp gauge was about the middle point. Now it seems to be coming on also when the car is shifted to drive (overdrive actually). I had the oil replaced yesterday and now in addition to the check engine light, the oil light is flickering and then comes on solid either at a stop light or when in park after getting to normal running temp.

Last, the ODB connector compatibility is proving to be a real bear. Does anyone have a part number or a link to a compatible scanner for this vehicle? Only other choice is to pay the dealer their $80 diagnostic fee which would be much better spent on a code reader.

Thanks for any and all help!

Best,
guitardood

Old 05-17-2014, 02:10 AM

Take it autozone they will scan it for free,once you have the codes report back..

Old 05-17-2014, 06:08 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Autozone can't scan pre ODB2 1994-1995 vehicles. This has a funky ODB connector with only three wires. So far only a GM Tech2 scanner is able to work on this.

On the recommendation from a GM tech, I am having the oil pump, piston rod bearings and crank bearings replaced. Car previously had a head gasket leak and ran for about a month with antifreeze mixed with the oil. He suggested that the AF put extra wear on those parts and is probably the source of the oil leak. Will be picking up car today, hopefully.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator

That tube can be found in the junkyard. I had similar issues with my 3100 in my 98 and ended up getting another one from pull a part. auto stores could not find the part, just the grommet or pcv.