General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1972 Skylark. External Regulator, Alternator, Battery Wiring Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Default 1972 Skylark. External Regulator, Alternator, Battery Wiring Help

Hi Everyone,

My 1972 Skylark sustained an electrical fire a while back and torched the main portion of the wire harness that goes across the engine.

I've managed to peace back together most of the wires, but not I'm a bit stuck/confused and could use your help.

According to this diagram:

One of the RED wires going from the starter solenoid to the junction box should intersect with both the Regulator's #3 wire and the Alternators Battery wire. (NOTE: There's no remaining evidence on how these wires were ever spliced/joined together. All the wires in question, aside from the solenoid wires, do not appear to have a matching counterpart)

However when connecting these wires together, the battery gets too much current and starts to spew water/acid. Checking the voltage on the battery at idle shows 17.5-16.5 fluctuations. Shouldn't this be 13.8?

The regulator and the alternator are new parts. Also, I have a mystery wire and I'm not sure what it goes to or if it is related to the issue I'm experiencing.

I know the first suggestion I'm going to get is "convert" to an internally regulated alternator, but I'd like to stick with what I've got if possible. Any suggestions, ideas, tips, anything at all would be greatly appreciated!

Some more images that may be useful.