General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1989 Lesabre door wont open help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Default 1989 Lesabre door wont open help!

hi everyone!
so i picked up a nice rusty trusty 89 lesabre 2 dr this week. it has a few problem i need help with though

1. The passenger door wont open. its unlocked, but it feel like something became disconnected in the door. i know how to take the door apart when its open, bit i cant open it! haha so how do i go about opening this door? any tips or tricks?

2. the fuel tank leaks when filled above half full(im thinkin there's a nice rust hole in it). if i buy a new tank, how hard is it to replace? i dont have a lift but i do have ramps and hydraulic jacks. if i do replace the tank, what all will i have to transfer over from the old tank to the new?

thanks everyone!! i appreciate your help!!
XLR8

Old 02-03-2010, 11:36 AM

anyone? up!

Old 02-23-2010, 12:51 PM

You are going to have to work the door panel off. It can be done. As far as the fuel tank. Its not hard to remove. Just make sure you soak the bolts went penatrating oil.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:57 AM
Question

I would take out the seat first. Then you can pop those plastic clips just as if the door was open (almost). You should be able to get the panel far enough away to get to the lever to turn or pull it and release the door. The other problem could be is the rust you mentioned. The door clasp could just be rusted and need a good donkey kick from the inside while you best friend holds the handle up standing out of the way on the outside. My son and I did that to a door on the back of my GMC van. Then we PB Blasted the lock and followed that up with chain lube. Never a problem since. As far as the fuel tank goes, What you see is what you get. Spray those bolts well in advance, may be twice or more. Drive the car till it's almost empty, easier than siphoning, safer too. Have fun. KM