Century Buick's mid sized affordable sedan

Odometer and Gear selector display

Old 09-13-2008, 11:21 AM

Does anybody have any knowledge as to how to repair the gear selector and odometer display? Mine has died and it requires me to feel around for the right gear, not too difiicult, wife finds it annoying. But I would like odometer display for servicing. Everything else on the display cluster works fine. I''m looking at simplicity to repair or cost for a professional. Is it a bulb I can change myself? Please help

Thank you

Old 10-23-2011, 09:25 PM

i know this is a old thread, i do some minor mechanical work on the side and today i was doing a tune-up/oil change on a 2000 buick century sedan with the 3.1 , it has a digital odometer and along with it the shift selector indicator (PRND21) are not working, you cant tell what gear your in visually, and you cant tell how many miles the car has on it. all the fuses are o.k. and from what ive found online its a circuit board problem with the dash cluster. anyone else ran into this? everything else appears to work, it does have a c.e.l. and abs light lit up (dad has his code scanner right now, so i wasnt able to see what the c.e.l. was about) when i look on a chevrolet blazer forum, there was replies from a similar problem regarding "cold solder welds" on the circuit board, a few have re-solderd their connections and fixed it, not sure if this would be the same issue, but being both are g.m. products, its a possibility.

Last edited by racsan; 10-23-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, its bad solder connections on 4 resistors in the instrument panel. My display went very dim over the summer, so I added a little solder to those resistors, and it fixed it until a couple weeks ago, when it dimmed again. The other day, it went out completely. You can just get some 150 ohm 1/2watt resistors to replace the bad ones. There's a few videos on youtube showing where the resistors are, and how to access them and fix them.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't had this issue and don't plan on doing it unless I decide to swap out bulbs as well.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:24 PM

I have got to do this to my 2000 Century it was dim the other day and its completely dark, are there any good tutorials on how to solder on this circuit board?

Old 12-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

The video that Merc6 posted is the best information you will be able to find. Just heat up the solder on the old resistors and pull them off, then trim the new resistors so they don't stick out too far, and solder them in like you would solder anything. You might be able to get away with using the solder that's already there. If not, you can just add a little to each spot, then put your resistors in. It's really simple once you have everything apart. I'm no pro at soldering, and I had mine out and fixed in less than an hour.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Default cluster lights

the problem is a a bad connection. The cluster has to come out a repair the bad joint.