Roadmaster The full size rear-wheel drive Buick of the past, the longest non limo Buicks

new guy

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 06:23 PM
Default new guy

Just bought a 96 wagon and just joined the forum. I have several little issues but my immediate thought is to replace the black "rubber" (?) on the side trim. PO put screws thru it about every foot to hold it on. Can anyone tell me where I can get this rubber? Thanx in advance.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:24 AM

The black rubber is not available new. You may be able to find something like it in replacement trim. The metal is stainless steel, and not many glues will stick to it well. Since the black rubber was screwed on, the metal underneath is not suitable for polishing. You probably have holes in the door panel from the screws as well. If you find a full set of trim without the rubber, you can leave the rubber off, and polish the rest. A pick and pull junk yard is your friend. Always call them first to determine if they have a viable donor car. The trim will fit from 91-96 wagons. Grab the clips from the donor as well, because they are getting brittle, and you will probably break at least a couple. They are color coded for the position on the body. The stainless trim requires that you press up on the bottom to remove the it. There are also nuts, and screws on the inside of the doors, and other places that help hold the trim on. Removing the screws from the rear wheel opening can be difficult. I usually grab them by the point and head with a channel locks and wiggle them a few times. It breaks the grip of the crud on them, and they are easy to turn.
On another note, check the trim panel on the back upright of the rear door. They are noted to fly off at speed, and self destruct, hence are known as "fly away" panels. The only way to insure that they stay put is to remove them, clean the areas to be glued, and glue them on with windshield urethane. Keep the long wedges at the bottom and glue them in as well.