Regal (1973-2004) Buick's sporty mid-sized sedan

1990 Gran Sport

Old 07-28-2014, 08:19 AM
Unhappy 1990 Gran Sport

So why do I care...............

My first new car was a 1990 Buick Regal Gran Sport like this dealer promotional photo

Is this Buick really part of the Gran Sport heritage??
Its still here, sitting under cover by the garage where I parked it in 2005. I couldn't part with it

I would like me to bring it back to life so she can take it to a Buick gathering next year. My husband said it's like every other old car that has sat far too long, nearly 10 years. Its going to need the brake system replaced. Powertrain, suspension, tires, fuel and electrical systems. Oh yeah, the thing has a digital dash. He wonders how its held up over the years. There is ALOT of plastic on this model too. Hopefully its held up. Every so often I peek inside. It still seems ok.
I could look at it as an original owner survivor. It will be eligible for "Historic" status in 2015.
Although I will not consider a full blown resto I would consider a careful refurbishment. Is it worth it? I think it would be fun to fix it up.
Or is my husband right in saying its a black hole to toss money into.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Talking Restore Thread

Originally Posted by GSgal
So why do I care...............

My first new car was a 1990 Buick Regal Gran Sport like this dealer promotional photo

Is this Buick really part of the Gran Sport heritage??
Its still here, sitting under cover by the garage where I parked it in 2005. I couldn't part with it

I would like me to bring it back to life so she can take it to a Buick gathering next year. My husband said it's like every other old car that has sat far too long, nearly 10 years. Its going to need the brake system replaced. Powertrain, suspension, tires, fuel and electrical systems. Oh yeah, the thing has a digital dash. He wonders how its held up over the years. There is ALOT of plastic on this model too. Hopefully its held up. Every so often I peek inside. It still seems ok.
I could look at it as an original owner survivor. It will be eligible for "Historic" status in 2015.
Although I will not consider a full blown resto I would consider a careful refurbishment. Is it worth it? I think it would be fun to fix it up.
Or is my husband right in saying its a black hole to toss money into.

We cleared out a nice space in the Garage to move the buick in. We are going forward with this. We will update with pics. We are trying to return her to stock original. Last time I checked the interior and body were still in good shape. Hope fully it will turn out as nice as his 67 Karmann Ghia.
Wish us luck. He said I will need it

Old 11-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Default Hood Liner

We finally got it in the garage. The wheels wouldn't turn. Hubby freed them up. He seemed a bit grumpy but was happy to get it inside and on stands. We opened the hood and found that the insulation had bee chewed by mice /squirrels. I started looking for a replacement. No one seems to have them. Any idea's? Ive searched CarId, ebay, GM Parts??? Someone has to have one. We are trying to keep it as close to original as possible. Any leads would be most appreciated!
Also trying to figure out how to post pics.